Chapter 2: I Was Made For Loving You

I stood at the door patiently, leaning against the door frame, as I watched the girl in front of me frantically run from the kitchen to the bathroom. A smile played at my lips at the shriek of panic and brush of wind as she ran past again. Shaking my head, a chuckle tickled my throat. "You know, for a girl who is almost late, you sure are moving slow."

"Camila, if I had the time to punch you in the face, I would! I don't know what happened to my phone! We can't leave without it! It has my entire itinerary for this week on there!" Lauren cried as she ran to the living room, "I can't remember where I threw it."

I sighed and pushed myself off the door frame before shutting the door shut. Following her voice, I glanced around her home curiously. I've never come further than the front door. Driving her to work every morning usually only called for waiting in the car or at the steps. Obviously today I had come inside over a crisis she was having, and now that I was here, everything seemed to spark my interest.

Her walls were pretty much bare except for the occasional framed photo or piece of abstract art. What really caught my attention were the bookcases filled with literary masterpieces and one of the biggest vinyl collections I've ever seen. My fingers traced over the binding of an Eric Clapton album as Lauren continued to throw her couch pillows about. When one landed at my feet, I snapped out of my awe and looked to her instead.

"Have you even bothered checking your-" I stopped, my eyes had caught Lauren bending down as she checked the couch cushions. I swallowed, my vision glued to the way her body cut and curved into such a flawless shape as a whole. My eyes continued to trace her outline and I lost all train of thought.

"Have I what?" Lauren asked, straightening up and turning to me with an exasperated look.

"Have you," I croaked, clearing my throat mid-sentence, "bothered checking your purse? Maybe you thought ahead and tossed it in there."

With wide eyes, she darted past me, "Fuck, I think you're right."

I turned and followed, stealing one last glance of her from behind before she disappeared back into the kitchen. When she was out of sight, I sighed and rubbed my eyes while mumbling to myself. I needed to get my mind right. It had only been week three of the routine, but it seemed like I was becoming more and more like a starved wolf when I was around her.

Friends Cabello! She's your friend. Your insanely hot, most likely straight as an arrow friend.

"I can't believe this," she sighed as she finally poked her head back out, a blush on her cheeks as she held up her phone in embarrassment, "I must have thrown it in my bag earlier."

"If anything, this means you are making progress into getting into a solid routine," I offered with a smile, amused at the way she seemed so deflated and defeated.

She chewed her lip as she slung her bag over her shoulder, moving towards the door, "I'm such a lost cause. It's like you were made to keep up with me."

The words caused a quick flutter within my heart, but I attempted to cover my embarrassment with a teasing grin, "Where would you be without me Jauregui?"

"Probably still trying to rub those coffee stains from your shirt. Who do I have to thank for that?" Lauren breathed out with a grateful glance as I passed her out the door.

"Yourself," I replied as we descended down the steps of her apartment complex, "You're the one who spilled coffee on me after all."

"Oh yeah, this was my somehow blessing in disguise," she laughed from behind as she followed, "I can't believe we've gotten into the routine of you taking me to work."

"Well, we're friends now and I'd like to think my company is better than taking the subway," I pointed out, unlocking my car doors, "I called ahead for that coffee by the way. Since you spent fifteen minutes trying to find your phone."

She smiled over the car at me as I gave her a teasing glare. With a roll of her eyes, she opened the door and slid inside. As I followed, I heard her reply, "No seriously, how did I ever survive without you?"

"Funny, I've been asking myself the same thing since I've met you." My statement earned me a playful shove from the green eyed Cuban and as I started our daily commute, I couldn't help but wonder how easily Lauren became part of my daily life.

A stranger's hand clutched in mine
I'll take this chance, so call me blind
I've been waiting all my life