Chapter 6: Dancing On My Own

"You want me to what?"

It completely blew my mind. I mean, I just couldn't compute. There was no way in hell I was going to sit here and believe a gorgeous girl like Lauren-

"I can't dance! I don't know how! I have, like, no rhythm and I never bothered to ask for help until now," Lauren rushed with a light blush on her cheek, "The party is next week, and I just don't want to go in there looking like a fool. So I need you to teach me how!"

We were at her apartment, it was Friday, and we had just had a cup of coffee. I brought over a bottle of wine to hang out with her, and I was just about to pop it open, but she sprung this on me and it was blowing my good time. Teaching someone to dance, someone like Lauren Jauregui, wasn't something that could be taken lightly. Dancing required being close to someone. To a level of comfortablity with yourself and your partner, and I doubt either of us were able to reach that level.

I shifted uneasily on the couch as Lauren fidgeted beside me. Sighing, I wracked my brain for the right words to explain how much of a bad idea this was, "Listen, dancing isn't something I can teach you and I mean, who said one way of dancing is the right way? Honestly, you just move how you want and have fun. It's an expression... like laughing."

She pouted beside me, and with another deep sigh, I stood from the couch and mumbled, "I'm going to need a drink for this one."

"Grab me one too!" Lauren called excitedly from behind. I waved her off as I kept walking. When I came back, I handed her a glass and plopped down with a heavy sigh. Taking a sip, I drawled, "Ever think we might be alcoholics? We sure do drink a lot."

"The day I ask for a cold one at 8 in the morning is the day we may have this talk," Lauren replied with a sip, "Until then, fuck that."

I laughed, shaking my head, "Whatever you say."

We sat there for a bit. I felt Lauren shift, and with a groan, I took a huge gulp of my beer before putting it down, "Alright. Go grab your laptop."

She squealed before jumping up from the couch and running to grab it. I sat there, staring at my glass and mumbling to myself to hold it together, if only just for tonight. It was just a random dance lesson, and that's all I needed to keep it at. Part of being a good friend was acknowledging the thin line and honoring the fact that you shouldn't cross it.

I snatched my glass and downed it. Breathing out, I pinched my nose. There was no way in hell I was going to be able NOT to cross that line without some sort of miracle.

Lauren came back into the room with an excited smile on her face. She handed me the laptop, and I took it warily. Bouncing into the seat next to me, Lauren leaned in close as I opened up the laptop and noticed there was a password to get in. I shifted, nervous about her proximity, and also trying to turn the laptop so she could type in whatever the code was. Before I could, though, she stated happily, "It's FuckTrump."

I blinked, and after a moment, I turned to her and smiled, "Seriously now?"

"It's the truest sentence in this universe, Camz," Lauren replied gravely as she leaned back into the couch and drank her wine, "It must be written or typed every day of my life."

I rolled my eyes and typed in the password. As the laptop loaded, I hummed in thought on what exactly I needed to handle first. Watching it boot, I listened as Lauren hum a tune happily. With a snap of realization, I turned to her and stated, "Ok first, we need to rhythm."

"Duh," Lauren sneered. When I frowned she only smiled and giggled, "I'm totally kidding. Ok, first thing is rhythm. How do I learn it?"

"Uh," I stalled, leaning down to pull up a music site on the laptop, "Well first, what was that song you were humming?"