Chapter 24: Friends

A/N: I've been writing a Lauren/maleyou just for my own pleasure. Just wondering if you guys would be interested in it???

Despite what Lauren said about Lucy eventually forcing me to choose, it had seemed that day would be inevitable. For now, I was able to smooth everything over, but at the cost of prioritizing Lucy over Lauren. It was the only way to keep Lucy from throwing one of her prized knives at me, while Lauren continuously told me it didn't matter.

But I knew, I knew it mattered to her. I just didn't know how to keep both of them happy. I didn't know how to not lean more one way than the other without both of them screaming. Well, more like Lucy screaming and Lauren falling back into silence. It was hard and honestly just as stressful. To make it up to Lauren, whenever I managed to find time for us, I would always try to do something special and different. Just for her.

Today I knew I would have her bouncing with joy. I had driven an hour away to this amazing place I read on the internet. It was supposedly the longest running record store in the country. I called ahead and they had the Bob Marley record that Lauren was searching years for.

I hadn't bothered to call Lauren before showing up, which I already knew was a mistake. I was in way too good of a mood to be shot down. Even if Brad was there half naked. So taking her steps two at a time, I bounced to her door and knocked repeatedly until she answered.

"Oh my god," Lauren snapped as she jerked the door open, "What the hell is your problem?!"

I carefully hid the record behind me as I grinned from ear to ear, "Me and you, we are hanging out tonight. No excuses."

She rolled her eyes, standing there as she pressed, "We can't. Brad and I are supposed to catch a movie."

"Then ditch him," I said simply. When she looked up at me, I shrugged, not backing down. "I want to be with you. Tonight. So you should ditch him. This is me... asking."

She stared at me for a moment, not saying a word. Then, with a cross of her arms, she challenged, "How is this different from all the times I ask you to ditch Lucy and you tell me no? The day I actually have plans, you decide you want to swing by and just act like you can get me to jump at the word? No, you are shit out of luck."

She attempted to close the door on me. Something she was getting into the habit of doing. It was the only obvious sign I got when she was growing frustrated with my behavior. Before she could, I held it open with a lift of my arm. When I stopped it, she glanced up at me with a glare.

I stepped a foot inside, getting really close to her. Looking her in the eyes, I said simply, "I will do anything you ask, if it allows me to have you for tonight. I will jump off a fucking roof if you want. If it helped me get a night with you. I'm sorry that I'm never around when you want me to. I'm sorry if I've left you hanging. I'm sorry that my girlfriend is getting in between whatever this is." I gestured my hand between us before continuing, "Lauren, this is me asking, begging. Please let me have this night." My brown eyes searched her for any indication of an answer.

The intimacy startled her. With a half step back, I watched as her cheeks slowly grew pink. I was starting to understand Lauren better.  Even though it took me almost two years to get there. I understood that sometimes, the only thing she truly wanted from me was my undivided attention. When I thought of it now, I was completely oblivious way back when we were awkward and toxic around each other. It was obvious she just wanted my time, and instead of giving it to her, I pulled away.

Like an idiot.

But with my newfound knowledge came with great understanding of Lauren as a person. She liked being spoiled. Up until recently, I thought I was the only one who enjoyed cuddling, but she does too. Human contact was something she craved, which is why she was continuously close to me. I know now that she can get jealous over some things I do. The thought of her actually being jealous was kind of foreign at first, but I slowly started to get that if she had found some new best friend of her own I would be jealous too. If she suddenly replaced me with some random person, I would be furious.