Chapter 27: Sunburn

I woke up to the ringing of my phone. It was a rainy, Saturday afternoon and I was attempting to be lazy. Too bad life had other plans for me. Slapping the device with a groan of frustration, I answered with a sleepy murmur, "Hello?"

"We are hanging out today," It was Lauren, and she was informing me, not bothering asking if I'm free. Shifting at the sound of her voice, I gave out a puff of breath and said, "I can't, me and Lucy are supposed be going out to dinner with her–."

"Cancel it." She replied simply.

With a small frown, I opened my eyes to try to wake up fully. With my vision blurring, I yawned and sighed out, "I can't. We're having dinner with her parents. We've planned it for a week."

"Oh, you don't say?" She mocked in a sarcastic sort of way. "I bet it was stressful trying to find time to plan a date since you hardly ever see her and everything, right?"

A deep frown tugged at my lips. Sitting up, I mumbled, "Okay, I get what you're implying, but it doesn't change the fact that we have plans."

"Fine, Camila," She snapped, obviously annoyed, "Then I will force you to cancel it."

My eyebrows scrunched together as I started slowly, "What are you..."

Aw fuck. She had those–

"Remember those three things you have to do no matter what just because you wanted me to cancel on Brad that one night," She asked, and I could almost see the smug little look on her face, "Well I am calling one of those in."

I sighed. With a hand through my hair, I looked at the time. It was still pretty early, early enough to call off the date without it being at the last minute. God, I should have never agreed to that promise. With another breath, I mumbled, "Alright. You got it."

"Great, see you in 30 minutes," And with that she hung up.

Fuck... was she always a bitch or am I just noticing?

With a small tug on my lips, I brushed off what I was thinking. It wasn't right for me to call her a bitch just because she wanted to spend some time with me. In truth, I had hardly seen her for the past few weeks. I can only imagine how annoyed she was growing with me.

Swinging my legs over the bed, I made my way to the bathroom. With the run of water, I stepped into the shower. I washed myself off, dried, and brushed my teeth. When I was done I made my back to my room, went to my mp3 player, turned on my speakers, and played a song that just portrayed my mood perfectly.

I took my time getting ready, because I knew that eventually I would have to call Lucy to tell her I wouldn't be going on our date. And, well it was something I didn't want to go through because I was so tired of fighting with her. When it was good, it was great. It was heaven on earth. But when it was bad, we were toxic.

I put on my ripped black jeans as I hummed to the gentle sad tone, dreading tonight and the phone call. I tugged on a tight black long-sleeve and nodded to the music. With a sad sway, I attempted to comb my hair to look at least somewhat decent. I took a final glance at the mirror. All black, perfect for my funeral, because death is what was waiting for me once Lucy was done with me.

Fishing my phone from my jeans I continued to hum. Then with the work of my thumb, I called Lucy and prepared for the train wreck that was coming.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey," I mumbled, staring at myself in the mirror as I sighed and spoke, "I can't make dinner tonight."

"What?" she asked, surprised, "Why not?"