Madison and the Big Bad Door Lock

Today was the first day I had been back in Riverdale since I left four years ago with my mom, Mary Andrews

Today was the first day I had been back in Riverdale since I left four years ago with my mom, Mary Andrews. She was a great prosecution lawyer that always fought for justice. It was an honorable and noble life.
In a metropolis like Chicago, my mother thrived at her practice. She helped the people who needed it, and stopped the people who tried to get in her way. She deserved an ABC drama show for all the crazy stuff she saw. I don't think I could ever do it. She's come home from the firm crying because of a homicide or a rape case that she was leading... it's a horrible thing. I've seen what my mom has done, and it's amazing, but I knew I needed to get back to my dad. He needed as much help as Mom.
My dad, Fred Andrews, was excited for me to come home. He kept my return a surprise, so I could surprise my brother for his first day back to school. My dad wasn't rich like Mom, he wasn't a lawyer, he owned a construction business, and he loved it. I knew it made him happy. I was happy that he was happy. He was the one of my parents to encourage me to follow my dreams.
Mom wanted me financially ensured, so she encouraged medical school, or even law school like her, but my life was photography. I spent 3 weeks doing an internship in Manhattan last year where I did architectural photography and I loved it. So, I've been working with major companies like Marie Claire, People and even CNN and Fox as a photographer in anything they could give me. I was a kid who was lucky enough to have the opportunities I did. I wouldn't be where I am without luck.
Now that I graduated from school, I was going to open a photography business here, in Riverdale, and take as much business as I could get. Mom wasn't wrong when she said artists were starving for a reason.
You could be the best there is. But if you don't work for it and prove it, no one will give you a second look.
After I got off my plane, I endured the forty five minute drive to my old home. I loved the feeling of driving in the suburbs again. My school was downtown Chicago, and so was our apartment. I hadn't been to a suburb in so long I almost forgot what they were like, especially this suburb.
Riverdale looked exactly as how I remembered it to look. Pretty houses with perfect landscaping lined wide roads housing sidewalks and decorative trees. I remembered the Coopers' house and the Blossoms', and all the houses in between. Memories flashed through my mind as I drove and I couldn't fight the small smile that had appeared on my face. Memories of childhood picnics and chalk drawings on the sidewalks would pass into my mind as I got closer and closer to my childhood home.
I reached the familiar faded driveway, and quietly got out of my car. I walked to the front porch, and used my key to unlock the door.
Well, at least I tried. This lock had always given me a problem, but I thought Dad would have fixed it by now!
Don't worry, Mads, you can just use your key, my dad had assured me. It'll open right up.
Clearly, Dad. Clearly it's opening right up.
I tried again, and again, to no avail. Eventually, ten minutes later, I gave up and knocked. Thankfully, Dad opened the door and not Archie, or it would have ruined the surprise.
"Hey, Maddy," Dad smiled widely as he took me into a hug. It was the first hug I've had from my dad since I decided to move two years ago. To say the least, it was refreshing. "Great to see you again, honey."
"Glad to be here," I sighed sincerely and hugged my dad back. "I missed you guys so much."
Words couldn't express the love I felt for my family. The love that kept my heart beating for them was strong and warm. I hadn't felt it from them in so long.
"Go wake him up," my dad said to me as he released me from his grasps, taking a good look at me. I had certainly changed since he saw me last.
"Alright," I smiled nervously as I set my sunglasses on my forehead, stepping inside. It smelt like Cola and Windex, just how I remembered.
I was a bit nervous Archie didn't want to see me. I had asked him, of course, if it was alright for me to leave before I left, and he said it was. But that was two years ago. I didn't know how much I missed in his life and I'd hate if he resented me for it.
Slowly, I climbed up the familiar stairs to Archie's bedroom, which was right down the hall from what used to be mine. I had to fight every urge in my body to run up the stairs and hop onto my brother's bed like the child I still am.
I opened the door slowly to see my snoring brother sleeping shirtless with a pair of pajama pants on. He was never one for being awake before the sun rose.
"Arch," I whispered quietly as I poked his face, not trying to startle him.
"Stop, Dad, ten more minutes," Archie groaned tiredly and turned over, not realizing it was me.
"I have way better hair than Dad," I feigned offense as I flipped my hand through my shoulder length fiery locks. My brother flipped back over, with wide brown eyes, looking at me.
"Maddy!" He smiled happily as he sat up. "you're back!"
I smiled and took my kid brother into a hug. "Of course, Kid. I told you I'd be back."
"I know but... I'm so glad you're back," he smiled as he stood from his bed. "Crap, school."
"Go to school, kid, I'll be here when you get back." My little brother threw on his bed and I turned towards the door, my hand on the knob, poised.
"I'm taking the old man for breakfast," I said to Archie before I walked out.
"Dad," I called and found him in the kitchen with a sad cup of lukewarm coffee. "Pop's for breakfast. My treat."
I made a pretty penny in Chicago as a photographer, so taking my dad to breakfast was a treat for the both of us.
Archie said goodbyes not a few moments later, and my father and I climbed into my car. I was glad to be home, and I wasn't planning to go anywhere.