Variety Shows and Deep Talks

Tonight was Archie's school Variety Show

Tonight was Archie's school Variety Show. I remembered the variety show from when I was in school. I played the piano, and I had a friend -her name was Lauren- who sang, so I played for her. I haven't played since I graduated high school, and I can't say that I missed it.
"Hi," I smiled kindly at the woman conversing with my dad. She was... handsy. Her hand was on his arm as the two conversed. "Madison Andrews, nice to meet you."
"I'm Hermione Lodge, Veronica's mother," the beautiful Latina woman explained and I nodded. She was Hiram's wife. Wife: she was married still. Here she was, hitting on my father.
I took the seat on the other side of my father as my phone buzzed, alerting me to a new message. It was FP.
Are you coming over tonight?
I nearly died as I caught my dad's glance scan in my phone's direction. I have to be more careful around my dad.
Typing out a response quickly as the kids began to set up their equipment, I managed to keep my phone screen subtly hidden from my father.
Of course. I'll bring food over.
The first act came on, and I saw Betty and Jughead looking for seats. Waving the the two, they began to walk towards me.
"Hey, Mads?" Jug asked me quietly, breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen over us since the duo took their seats.
"What's up, kid?" I asked him as I crossed my legs in my chair.
"Can I get your advice?"
Oh no. Jughead asking me of all people for advice could be bad. I just hoped it wasn't about his father.
"Of course, kid. What can I help you with?"
Jughead sighed quietly as he leaned in to whisper in my ear. "How do I know how many chances for someone is too many?"
I knew immediately this was about FP. I don't think Jug had any idea I was seeing his dad, since he was staying at our house.
Why did you not notice all of this before?
"You know when you stop wanting to give them more," I said to him, my words full of wisdom as I coated them with a small smile. "Is it anything I can help with?"
"I just..." Jughead trailed with a whisper before looking at me. I could tell that Jughead took a lot of time and thought to tell me this. "I want my dad to get our family back together. There's my mom, and my sister, JellyBean. I haven't seen them in about three years. All I know is that my dad has a new girl. He won't tell me her name, though."
A whole was punched through my chest. The idea that I was keeping Jughead's family apart hurt me. Being with FP wasn't my place, and I was keeping a family apart because of it. I just... I assumed FP was single. He didn't wear a ring, and I never knew Jug even had a sister until just now.
"Look," Dad said, pulling me from my thoughts as the familiar red headed boy walked onto the stage. "Archie is on."
I smiled, letting the thoughts of FP fall from my mind as my brother sat down at the microphone, his hands visibly shaking.
"Hi, everyone," my brother looked at me. "This song is one I wrote, it's called I'll Try. It's dedicated to my sister, Madison."
Pride and intrigue welled inside me as I leaned forward a little. Betty and Jug both smiled at me. They knew about this!
Archie smiled widely at me as he saw the look of shock on my face. "She's given up so much to be here with me and my dad, and she's gone through a lot recently. So, this is for her."
Archie's guitar started up and I watched my brother with a wide smile on his face as he began to sing. "Can you hear me?
Am I drowned out in the crowd? Are you listening?
Or is everyone else too loud for you to hear anything
Are you just gonna walk away?
Cause there are so many things I can do but instead I'll say
I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it roll right off my back
Yes, oh I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it go and never look back this way
Do you wanna be the one who points and blames?
Makes us feel many things
Cause in a word I can't explain
Why it hurts so much, you see
We weren't born with all this pain, I guess that's anything
That keeps living day by day
And I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it roll right off my shoulders
Yes, I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it go and never look back this way
Back this way
I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it roll right off my shoulder
Yes I'll try
I'll try
To let it go, let it go and never look back this way
Never look back this way"
I have never been so proud of my little brother. I stood as soon as he finished, along with many others, and began clapping and cheering for my brother. I couldn't be happier with the man he was becoming.
When I looked back to talk to Jughead and Betty, they were gone! I texted both of them, and they were nowhere to be found. What the hell is going on in this town?

**********

I walked into FP's trailer with a small bag of groceries and my purse, which held a change of clothes since I'd probably fall asleep.
"FP! I'm here!" I called happily as I walked over to the kitchen.
My boyfriend walked out from his room in lounge pants and a tee shirt not a moment later.
Boyfriend... well, he has a wife. Is he my boyfriend?
Am I a home wrecker?
"How was it?" He asked me as he got a beer from his fridge.
"It was great. Archie dedicated his song to me," I smiled at FP proudly as the memory flowed through my head again, but anxiety began to consume my stomach as we continued to talk.
"Good, Angel," FP said as he took a swig of his beer.
"But," I said slowly as I began to cut the vegetables to make a real meal for FP for once, other than Pop's and beer. "I think you and I need to talk."
FP looked concerned. "Is everything alright?"
I tapped my heeled foot on the ground as I turned the stove on, the vegetables beginning to steam in the pot I placed them in. FP needed some greens in him, so the vegetables would do him well.
"It's about Jughead." I said, testing the waters. Jughead wasn't my kid. I couldn't pretend like I know how to raise a kid. I just wanted the best for his family. If that meant I wasn't in the picture, then I could accept it, if it meant the Jones family was happy.
FP just looked at me weirdly, waiting for me to continue. "Well, him and I talked, and he said that he missed his mom and JellyBean."
Sighing, FP looked at me. "He said that to you?"
"Jug doesn't know we're dating. He has no idea." I shrugged. "But he said that this new girl was keeping you from getting back with his mom. Assuming I'm the new girl, is this true?"
For a moment, FP didn't do anything. He just sat there and looked at me. I didn't know what to expect from him.
I had placed the chicken in a pan on the stove before FP finally said something.
"You come in here after I've been with you for a day and you try to get involved with my marriage?"
I froze, the only sound in the small trailer being the chicken sizzling on the stove.
I shook my head as I pushed the sizzling chicken around in the pan, making sure none of it burnt. "That's not at all what I'm doing. I'm not trying get involved with your marriage, I'm trying to help you get a better relationship with your son."
FP scoffed and walked away. "Like you have a right to do that."
"He tells me more than he tells you," I mumbled to myself as I mixed the chicken and vegetables together in the same pan.
"What did you say?" FP asked, turning back towards me.
"I said," I sassed FP, "Jughead tells me more than he tells you. I just want you to have a good bond with your son."
"It's none of your business," FP snapped back.
"You're the one who wanted this relationship!" I exclaimed loudly as I pointed the wooden spoon at him. "I never would have met up with you if I knew you had a fucking wife!"
FP's beer bottle flew against the wall. He was so angry that he smashed the bottle!
"Well," FP said as he fumed, walking towards me. "You know now, you know about my daughter, and my wife. So what are you gunna do?"
"Stop drinking, FP," I rolled my eyes. "I'm not scared of you."
It was true. I wasn't scared of him. I got hit by a boyfriend I had back in Chicago. He hit me one time, before I locked him out of the apartment I shared with my mom, where he was staying, and threw his things off the balcony. A man who had anger issues wasn't going to scare me, no matter how hard he tried.
From my bag, I grabbed a bottle of water and pushed it into his chest. "Sit down." I demanded as I found a plate for him, preparing to put the food on it.
FP shook his head as he crossed his arms. "You don't tell me what to do! I'm the man and this is my house."
I threw the wooden spoon at FP's head before I grabbed my purse, leaving the bag of groceries.
"Fine. It's your house? You're the man? Well, FP, have fun being in your house all alone!"
Without another word between us, I was walking to my car on the gravel road, anger running through my blood.