Mothers and Dresses

The next morning, I quickly changed into a new, fresh outfit

The next morning, I quickly changed into a new, fresh outfit. Mom had gotten in last night, and was going to surprise Archie this morning. I told her I'd meet her there.
It wasn't until my car ride over there with my tired mind did I realize I'd have to see my dad.
Over the few days of not seeing Dad, I realized that Dad didn't want me hurt. FP didn't have a good record with women, and he had a boy Archie's age.
Do you love FP?
That's a good question, Maddy, that's a good question.
I stopped in the parking lot. Dad was waiting for Mom, I assumed. He seemed shocked to see me.
"I get it," I said to Dad as I reached the porch. "You want me safe. FP's been shit to women. I know. I get it," I said again.
"Do you love him?" My dad asked me and I sighed. I knew this was coming.
"I think I'm starting to," I spoke to him and he gave me a small smile before taking me into a hug. Mom's car pulled into the driveway not moments after he released me. "I missed you, Dad."
"I missed you too, Mads. Archie told me you bought a house?"
"I love you, Dad, but I don't want to live with you until I'm thirty,"
"Love you, kid," my dad smiled at me as my mom got out of her car.
"Hey, Madison!" My mom smiled and hugged me.
"Hi, Mom," I kissed her cheek before hugging her back. "How was your flight?"
"Eventful," she smiled. "But I'm excited to see Archie."
I opened the door to see Archie chilling with Vegas, our dog, on the couch. "Hey, Mads- Mom?"
Archie stood from the couch, shocked. "Mom, what are you doing here?"
Mom smiled, "nice to see you too, Archie,"

******

"Maddy, hows the photography?" Mom asked me as I touched up her coffee as Dad went to work.
"Pretty great, I'm signing a deal with Teen Vogue this week."
"That's wonderful, Sweetheart!" She turned to Archie. "So, Arch, hows football?"
"Good, I'm on varsity,"
Mom's eyes widened in joy. "Congrats, kiddo."
"I'm doing music, too. It's really a nice change."
"Maddy teaching you?" Mom asked him and Archie looked at me.
"Maddy teaching me what?" Archie asked and my cheeks went a little pink.
"Maddy minored in music theory. Her boyfriend was a music tech major. He was an asshat."
I snorted and nodded. "I don't know enough to teach Archie," I shrugged as I finally sat back down at the table. "I only took a few piano lessons. And I was a shit singer."
Mom rolled her eyes and grabbed her phone. "I managed to nail a video of her working with her boyfriend for one of his production projects."
My eyes widened. "You did what?"
Mom and Archie both smiled as Mom fought a laugh. "Let the boy listen,"
"You know I see you
In another light
Where did the days go
When it all felt right
All I know is there was fire in the room
It got cold too soon
Listen to the rain
And it doesn't sou-"
"Showtime is over," I rolled my eyes and stood.
My phone went off as I was washing the coffee mugs. "Arch, can you get that?"
"It's FP," Archie said.
"FP Jones?" Mom asked, eyes wide and a ginger eyebrow raised.
"Shit," I said.
"Why is FP Jones calling you?" Mom asked me as she grabbed the phone from Archie. "Hi, FP. Yeah, it's Mary Andrews."
"He's my boyfriend, Mom!" I called from the kitchen to her.
"You dating my daughter?" Mom said into the phone as Archie fought a laugh. I dried my hands and rolled my eyes, taking the phone back.
"Hey, FP. Yeah Mom is back in town, if you couldn't tell."
He let out a small laugh. "Hey, baby. I just wanted to see if you wanted to join me and Jug for coffee and stuff?"
"I'd love to, babe, but I gotta help the kids with homecoming and then with the studio-"
"It's ok, Maddy," FP said, "I'll stop by the house tonight, maybe make dinner?"
Since when did FP make dinner?
"Yeah, sounds great," I smiled. "See you then."
"Love you,"
FP hug up the phone.
'Love you'
"Holy shit," I breathed and my phone went off again. It was a text from Jughead.
Dad cleaned up his act. It's weird.
That makes sense, FP cut off liquor for a day.
"Everything ok?" Mom asked from the dining room.
"Yeah, fine," I nodded before looking back at them. "Are you excited for homecoming, Archie?"
"Yeah, Veronica and I are going to sing. You should too."
"I don't know, Arch," I said to him, squinting my eyes. "It's not a good idea. I'll freeze."
"Will you think about it?"
I nod with a small smile. "Yeah, I'll think about it."

*****

A few days had passed

A few days had passed. Between helping Betty and Alice prep for homecoming, and driving to the city for photo shoots with Teen Vogue, and being with my mom, and FP, homecoming had jumped on me before I knew it. I had Veronica chose a dress, since I was sure she had better taste than I did.
Betty got ready at my house, and we picked up Kevin, giving my parents time to talk before Archie left.
"How did dinner with FP go?" I asked Betty and Kevin, who I'm sure heard the whole story before me.
Alice had FP and Jughead over for dinner so Alice could get to know them better. Archie and Veronica had done something together, so that's why I got ready with just Betty.
We reached the high school and I smiled at the memories that hit me like bricks.
"I remember coming to your graduation," Betty said as we walked in.
"Yeah, it was a while back,"
"Only six years ago, you're just old," Kevin said and I rolled my eyes with a laugh.
"You kids will be leaving soon. Remember to enjoy what you have." I smiled at them and we walked inside.

*****

Veronica and Archie were no where to be found. Archie wasn't answering his phone, neither was Veronica.
"What the hell?" I asked Betty as I finally saw the two, who nearly ran to Alice Cooper, their faces red and eyes wet.
What was happening?
Betty, Jug and I walked over.
"You went to FP's trailer?" I asked them after they explained it. "This is ridiculous!"
"We didn't find anything. Nothing." Archie said and I looked at Jug.
"Jug, why don't you stay at my house tonight. You too, Betty," I said to the kids and they nodded.
Alice looked at me, shocked. "Just because you're dating him doesn't mean he's-"
"Screw you, Alice Cooper. You don't know anything about my dating life, and you sure as shit don't know FP."
Jughead stormed out angrily, and I followed him. I was pissed, without a doubt, but I needed to know that Jug was ok. I followed him, but Betty grabbed his arm before he could get to the door.
"Jug-"
Jughead turned to Betty. "Is this why you had me over tonight? So those two could sneak in?"
"I knew my Mom wanted your dad over, but I didn't know why. I thought she wanted to know him more!" Betty explained nervously and I looked at Alice.
"The other Andrews might be for forgiving, but I'm not."
Jug looked at Betty, who had tears in her eyes. "To think... I was going to give up Toledo for you."
Toledo? What the hell was in-
Jellybean... and his mom. His birth mom.
Kevin walked up to us, interrupting the group of teenagers and Alice, Hermione, Mom and Dad.
"Guys," he huffed as Joaquin, his boyfriend, followed him, "I heard my dad talking to the mayor,"
Kevin looked at me, then his eyes drifted to Jughead.
"Your dad's been arrested for the murder of Jason Blossom."