Chapter Five

|Stephanie on the other side|

Jade

"Mason is now gone, Steph. Let's pkay," I glimpsed at Nathan who was grinning as his eyes still glued on the ground, "What?" I didn't offend my sister, besides Mason was a jerk. Who knew Mel would end up having his child? The thought of it surprisingly edged me toward happiness; Melanie would have been a great mother, who had also changed Mason.

I'd cared enough for the way he looked at her.

"Nathan, you first," my sister practically lived under the bossy roof. Not a single person in our family had meant to be like that.

She seemed to remind people about their mistakes at the slightest to remember the tiny details about the game. Of course Nathan perked up, seeing me taking the bottle out of my bag, so he figured he didn't have to be told twice.

"I'm first. As always," I held back rolling my eyes at Stephanie--who was scowling--to show him sympathy. Now the three of us were going to play truth or dare, pretty simple for advanced players, by spinning the vodka bottle.

Mason had always gone first; always endes up in my sister's hands. He had abruptly landed the bottle sometimes on Nathan.

Just to tell him; to be a gentleman, he had to dodge his gut to replace him.

Nathan did in the end replacing Mason and since then we'd hit it off pretyy gently. I held the bottle tightly and span it around. Stephanie chewed on her nails; being impatient was her thing in this game.

It landed on me, thankfully. I was actually pretty good at this, "Truth or dare?" Nathan's doe-eyes glistened when I giggled, "Truth," simple and menacing. Stephanie sat straighter and shifted in her seat. She didn't want to miss thing, "What happened in Italy?"

I choked on my breath, not meeting my sister's eyes. Oh shit. Nathan just hit her nerves. "Don't you have better question?"

"Mason told me not to ask twice,"

Stephanie hastily replied, "Mason's not here, dumbass. Ask a better question,"

"I don't have one, besides I'm asking Jade, not you Steph. Did something actually happen between you and him? You've been avoiding my texts since then. And when you called, I did the same thing. Revenge isn't always sweet when it comes to your best friend," his heart almost exploded. He couldn't take it any longer.

"Nate, shut up, I don't need your sympathy. Mason and I were fine in Italy. We were having a vacation,"

"Okay, then why are you wearing vintage now?" She crossed her arms, and snorted, "'Cause I love vintage. I have my rights to wear anything I want!"

"Nathan! Nathan! Please!" it pierced through his ears, watching her best best friend unconscious for how long exactly, she didn't need to know that.

Her heart shred to pieces as she was reminded of her sister.

The stirring gaze she sent before heading out upon her tacky heels had never crossed her mind before; heartless indeed. Jade had never done that--as if sensing tons of bricks stomped on her head. The excruciating soreness had crested below her stomach.

Now the truth unraveled by itself.

Everything blurred thanks to bloods on Nathan's stomach. Her feet ran coldly against the soft tiles, strolling the hallways together with the doctors and the nurses.

They gave her the most sincere look she'd never received before from anyone besides Nathan who was close to death.

Her brain mixed the thoughts from where it had started in Italy, to the countless nights she'd spent with Mason, to the moments Jade pulled pranks on her, and to the times Nathan drew his eager and bitter suspicious attentions toward her.

Those defeaning memories remain muted, at last, in her bitchy mind that sometimes came up with horrible plans and responses.

She hated being the witness to her own game; she let herself drown in it. She hated losing to her own sister, who braved enough to pull a heart.

The pain stretched through her veins, calling her over to seats way behind the chaotic prirority.

"Miss, are you alright?" one of the nurses patted her in the arm, pulling her away from her best friend shortly, "No! I'm not gonna lose him!"

"Miss, you look extremely pale. Bring her to the ER please,"

Two nurses came to her side, saving her in time. She didn't know where to look; everything turned extremely white. She couldn't pass out, not when another soul inside her screaming for attention, she knew that.

Yes, Nathan was right, she thought. And she was sure anyone would turn into a cynicall bliss in days by gawking at her striding in a drenching pain.

The baleful words she would generally accept in few days, had already carved her skin splintered inches of her bones.

She didn't want to imagine the world without him--but kept saying that she would never save one last glance just for him, especially in the future of well-being and less pathetic, where she lived under the radar happily.

She remembered being lifted up, the same way Nathan had felt; blinded by the pain.

She'd heard him screaming before scurried out by the ambulance. How could she forget everything as they all bursting out one by one? They revealed exactly what she'd been afraid of.

A single look from the doctor unexpectedly comforting in such a manner. Let me sleep for a while, okay.

"What now, Steph?"

Ayy its been too long for me not to update. I hope you guys enjoy.

❤jenna