Chapter Seven

The dusty pavement clawed to the her heels as she was striding between clusters of humans. Human. She just killed one, stabbing his heart with one of her bullets. Although his stomach was bleeding, but the vision of his heartfelt gaze followed her back stayed blissfully in her mind.

She didn't want to be like her dad, or her sister.

They jostled life the way they wanted to; she'd already become one of them. Jade should've never said it to Melanie that everyone who ended up there would turn out to be bad.

"Hey, watch where you're going," he was just a stranger. Melanie was a stranger. She covered her eyes from the blinding streetlight, wishing God would take off her eyes instead of her heart.

"Why was I so stupid?"

She remained strong while striding through the back alleys where everything stayed quiet. "Having a bad day?" once again, she was proven wrong. The guy slid off the slippery stairs which were full of drizzles and continued talking, "I'm sure you'll be fine, Jade,"

Not a piece of coat could cover her bare back, even if she's longing for it. "James?"

"What are you doing here, Jade? Did you just--?"

"James," it came out as breath rather than a name. She grimaced at how cold the tip of tongue was when she said his name. "Where have you been?"

"I'm still here. I'm still alive," his cigaratte was playing around his mouth, burning out bit by bit.

"How's Melanie?"

"You know her? James, you knew her?" her dress swiftly shred at the bottom as she hustled toward him, taking the cigarette out of his mouth, "Hey!" he swatted her hand but she twisted it while laughing coldly.

"You haven't changed, Anderson,"

She inhaled as much as she can while ignoring the frown on her childhood friend's face. She had never liked him, especially how his brain always worked at times like this.

If Stephanie had been here, she could've kicked his pants off and thrown him into the trash bin.

The past carried on leaving the hasty reddish mark. They couldn't have enough of it. "How did you know Melanie? Was she one of yours too? What did you do to her, James?"

He replied, "Yup, since you guys left, she came to my life fixing almost everything,"

"Was she one of your possessions? Stephanie would be so mad at you," she purged her lips, feeling shame at what she just said. "That bitch took a lot of Advil."

Jade grumbled, "She's pregnant," James shoved his hair back with his hand, contemplating what he was going to say, "Mason, as always. He's bought her house. Why not buy her baby cot?"

She threw the cigarette onto the sticky ground and turned from him. She stared at the murky walls which clustered their bodies among the tall buildings. They felt useless after all; talking about their life as if the world had gone mad and they chose to stick together rather than facing it. It's what they always did after all.

"Melanie came to my life two years after you guys left. She's indeed different than your twin. She's mind-blowing, Jade, I was in love with her,"

He kicked his shoe to the thin air, floated for a split second before it went smashing the ground. He looked it up for her, examining the dent before his eyes.

The giggle came after that, defining his stubbornness in a better shape. He strode to the stairs and climbed up at the strongest he always seemed. Long before they knew each other, Nathan had drowned with him, exploring their life altogether.

Later on, Stephanie dived for a better view--the same life they had shared constantly burned when Jade watched them, enjoying the scenery from the land.

People came to save them not minsing the risk of failing. Excruciating moments were revealed sooner than they'd thought. Stephanie was the first who ducked out of the water carrying what'd left behind--she'd stayed long enough.

Nathan was the last, hustling his feet toward the ground and stared at the sun, feeling overexcited from the experience.

Years passed, the last person had dutifully died. Until Jade came next to him, asking for what she could have had for. He gestured to the air, "What have you done this time? What do you want me to do?"

Her head titled for a better view. Her fingers crossed without being told to. "I'd like you to get rid of evidence," she murmured slightly before passing the look onto James; his eyes lit up ultimately, "What did you do in the club? Did you kill someone?"

She chuckled but stopped when he jumped from the stairs, "Let's just say I did, and he took a bullet for me," the hands came after that.

"Jade, who did you kill?" she tried yanking his grip off her neck but it only gave him another reason for enjoying it. "Who did you kill in my club?!" he scooted closer to take a look at her frightened eyes--solemnly looking at his feet.

He always had the urge to resist her bitchy attitudes; that'd proven years ago. She deemed about the beast, graciously came out of his body, and tonight could be her last granted wish before swallowed by the ground.

"Don't you ever think about it. You don't know what you had shown me,"

"What have you wished for?"

"It's Nathan. Please,"