Chapter Ten

The wind exhilarated her black hair that blinked over the horizon. She pulled the brake hardly while cursing under her warm breath. Just in time for the show, another car pulled up beside hers.

The driver opened the windows, letting the breeze get in, and lowered down the rearview mirror. His sunglasses perched lowly beneath his sharp gaze.

He casually blinked at the black hair girl. She didn’t reply it.

They hopped off at the same time and sent each other’s snickers to the world. “Dad bought you that? Couldn’t wonder why,”  he waved to the air. She shot him a disgusted nod, taking out a cigarette from her purse and threw it at him.

His hands almost slipped over the cig, “You better move sooner, Anderson. Or else I would tell your dirty little secret to the world,” her eyes burnt through the sunrise, perking up and brought the yellow warmth to herself.

She breathed in for the good but not for today’s plan. “Nathan doesn’t live here anymore,”

“Where is he now?” Jade turned to glimpse at his expression. “Somewhere there. He’s hiding from the press. Might as well hiding from you,”

“James, if you don’t move now, Mason would beat us to death,”

“Relax, cheetah. Mason would never go first. He’s busy with your sister now. He never knows about it, ever. Today will be good, trust me. Jade, you have to trust me,”

He paused before taking out his phone. His fingers moved swiftly; texting someone was his other specialty. And that someone might be as bad as him. “Dwayne is checking up on him. Mason’s goin’ to his girlfriend’s house,”

How awful Mason would be if Melanie knew whom he had trusted for years, was failing him.

Jade retreated to her car that could take her anywhere she wanted but could never win her heart over things she wanted. She got in, turned the ignition on, and drove off.

The Lamborghini squeaked under her watch, and zoomed right out the cliff. James stared longingly at the car. He had nothing to say against Jade this time.

He unlocked his phone again, scrolling through his contacts to find the only name he was afraid to ask after she’d left him tangled in his own problems. Even hearing the name would send him nightmares at nights. He pressed Call and waited for answer. He would gladly know if she was okay, at least, dancing around the kitchen through her frying pans.

“James?”

The words stuck in his throat while climbing down to his stomach--where nervousness stayed thick and buried down in himself.

“Why are you calling me? Is something wrong?” suddenly he could feel his eyes burning. Then they became wetter and drenched in something he loved to get rid of. “Nothing. I just want to tell you that Jade is picking you up in ten mins. I want you--,”

“You know I’m busy with my pasta,”

At least he had been right. She loved waking up to new recipes for the day. “Umm, just leave it, okay? Just leave it for once, Melanie,”

-----

Her fingers roamed through the channels by the radio. The windows were wide opened while filling the car with the nice summer breeze. Her thoughts had collaborated easily along James, along the plans of today.

Jade’s curiosity had died few days ago as she found out about the disappearance of the person she hated the most yet she missed him every day.

She only hoped for the best, for what it’s worth to die for. She saw the streets already being packed. New York had stayed calmer according to her and the news, even more beautiful at night. Perhaps he being disappeared had affected her. Days passed before her eyes, they accompanied her most of times; through the loneliness and hollow movements she’d made.

Butterflies soon came back to her stomach after such a long ride between houses.

There was one house, under the glint of the sun, deep down she was petrified of. That house seemed brighter each day. How very opposite it was from the inside. It also defined how the gardens were close to grey. “Home sweet home,” the gate had been opened. She pulled up to the driveway, glancing at how grand jewel it must’ve been to the couple who lived here.

Just then she heard heels loudly clacked against the marble. She tilted her head at Jade while smiling a little. “Where are we going?”

“Where are your stuffs?” her skirt bounced a little when she stepped down the stairs. Jade could only chuckle at the sight--always got to impress her.

“Do I have to bring the suitcase along?” Jade glanced at the clock on the dashboard. Sure they were a bit off the schedule. “Come on, Mel! Get in! I’ll explain later,”

Melanie hesitated for a short moment, before she hopping into the Lamborghini and putted the suitcase onto the backseat. Jade tightened her seatbelt and smiled to herself. The stirring wheel was crushed under her white knuckles. Suddenly another car strode in and pulled up alongside hers. Its loud rumble shocked them both to death. “Shit,”

In one motion, Jade managed to pull out of the driveway and got out of the mansion before Mason blocked them out for leaving.

“Jade!”

Mason sprinted toward her car as they could see him now panting and cursing behind them. He nearly collapsed against the ground over his polished-shoes. Another getaway car would definitely make him madder, at this point.

But before they got out of this pain-in-the-ass mansion, as Jade had thought for what it seemed radiant from the distance, she stopped for a millisecond then drove as fast she can.

This time, it wasn’t of Mason who screamed crazily that almost sounded like a bark on a sunny day that made her stopped for a while--it was her mind that nearly sprinted to what it’s looking like a pain-in-the-heart memory.

It had never been Mason or even Melanie whom could sense it right away, no. It was the one and only Nathan Cleveman, whom she thought for sure, had died. Because at this point, there would no turning back--just like the other night.