Chapter Eleven

Logan

"Logan," Drake said as he entered my office. I turned to face him. His expression was grim. "What?"

"Wolves just entered our territory."

"Rogues?" He shook his head. "Who is it, then?"

"It smells like the Crescent Moon Pack, but I can't be sure. I haven't been near them in years." I nodded in understanding. Until I went looking for my mother, I'd never been near Crescent Moon's territory.

"Why are they here?" I calmly questioned. Drake shook his head, "they won't communicate with us."

"Where are they going?" He hesitated. "Here, to the house. They're coming here."

I stiffened. "They're coming for Alexa." I stood and practically ran out of the office. I took the stairs three at a time, barely noticing Drake following close behind me. I didn't bother knocking when I came to Alexa's door. Pushing it open, I noticed Alexa was laying on her bed reading. I motioned for Drake so stay out before approaching her.

Alexa glanced up, sensing my closeness. She held my gaze impatiently. "Well?" She asked uncomfortably.

"Well?" I repeated confused.

"What do you want?"

I sighed. "Wolves are on their way. They're coming here; I'm assuming for you. I think it's your pack," I told her. Her eyes widened in fear and I felt a pang of guilt. "I'll protect you," I reminded her quietly. Then, I forced myself to look her in the eyes. "But if this starts a war, things will get bloody and I will kill his wolves." She nodded eagerly and without pity. I sighed, briefly closing my eyes. They must have been terrible to her.

Shaking my head, I stood up and began walking out. Just as I was about to shut the door behind me, I turned and told her, "They'll be here in less than thirty minutes. Drake will come for you shortly to take you somewhere safer than here." She stared at me suspiciously for a moment before slowly nodding.

Alexa

It only took ten minutes for Drake to knock on my door. He smiled warmly at me, showing his perfect, white teeth. I smiled back, even though I could sense the underlying tension in his stance and it was makin me uneasy.

"We need to go, Luna," he told me.

"Luna?" I questioned in confusion.

He looked just as confused for a second before something clicked in his mind. "Oh, I'm sorry. I forget that you're new to our world." He moistened his dry lips before continuing, "A 'Luna' to werewolves is the Alpha Female of the pack. You're our Luna because you're Logan's mate."

I frowned, trying to absorb all of this new information. "And what's so important about being his 'mate'?" I hesitantly questioned.

"I'll explain on the way, but we have to go. Now." He grabbed my hand and I flinched at first, but quickly forced myself to relax. He wasn't going to hurt me. He was trying to protect me. Drake pulled me up from the bed, practically dragging me out of the room.

I winced at the slight pain from his tight grip, but didn't complain. Instead, I desperately tried to keep with him. Drake turned every which way through the twisted halls until he reached an elevator. He pressed the button and began taping his foot as we waited. "I know what a mate is, but what do we do?" I asked. "I mean, are we just here to make babies and be their slaves. . ."

Drake turned to me and avoided eye contact, flinching at the word slaves. "Uh, I think it's best if you ask Logan that."

I frowned, "why?"

"Because I don't think he would like me discussing the roles of mates with you." I didn't argue the matter any further, but I was curious to know why this was such a big deal to Logan. Or, at least, why Drake would think it was a big deal to him.

The elevator opened and he stepped in, pulling me next to him. The doors slid closed and Drake turned to the left. He placed his large hand on the wood about a quarter of the way from the top and slid it to the side. The wood panel slid away revealing a small keypad. Drake typed in a few numbers and the elevator started moving.

When the doors reopened, we walked into a large, darkened room, which was crowded with several people murmuring quietly amongst themselves in the shadows. I glanced nervously over at Drake who didn't seem phased by the eerie scene, so I consciously tried to stop being so afraid. Yes, this place was extremely creepy, but no one here had tried to hurt me. In fact, they'd tried to protect me more than anything.

Drake stepped forward and gestured for me follow him. Hesitantly, I trailed behind him as he maneuvered his way through the groups of people. We didn't stop until we walked into a smaller room that was separated from everyone else.

The room was only about the size of a large broom closet, so we were uncomfortably close to each other. I turned to Drake, well aware that I was being rude to the others. "What is this place?" I whispered.

He smiled at me warmly, probably trying to reassure me that everything was alright, or trying to comfort me. "It's our safe floor. No one outside the pack knows this place exists." I nodded, hoping he would continue. "All those people out there are part of Logan's--and well--now your pack. That's why they were staring at you. They have been dying to meet their new Luna,." I had to think for a moment to remember that they had been staring. I was too uncomfortable to really even notice that. "We brought them here the moment your old pack stepped foot on our terrifory." He took a deep breath, running his hand through his thick hair. "They're closer to the borders, and not skilled in combat, so we had to get them protected sooner." I nodded. He didn't need to explain himself to me, I wasn't worried about myself, just everyone else.

"Where's Logan?" I asked as an after thought.

"He's upstairs with the rest of the pack ready to fight if needed."

"What?" I nearly yelled. He was going to fight them? I couldn't help but remember all the times I'd done something wrong and they'd beaten me. One had pushed me and I'd flown across the room. He hadn't even seemed out of breath. I'd been terrified then, but I hadn't known what they really were.

Logan

The tension in the air was nearly palpable, and I knew I wasn't the only one who could smell them heading our way. All of us had shifted into our werewolf form, ready for a fight to break out at any moment.

It was only when I could hear the other were's paws pounding into in an almost thunderous roar, that I began shifting on my paws, axiously. I wanted this over with. I didn't want to fight, because I didn't want any of my pack members to end up injured. Of course, that didn't mean I would back down and just allow them to take my mate away from me. I just wanted this to be a conversation that would end quickly and peacefully so that I could get back to my beautiful Alexa as soon as possible.

The weres were only a few yards away now as they came to a sudden stop. Obviously, they hadn't expected us to be waiting for them. Good. Who I assumed to be the Alpha of the pack stepped forward, looking me dead in the eye.

We've come for for the girl, Alexa. He told me through mind-link. I inclined my head, acknowledging his statement. He looked at me expantantly. You can't have her, I told him simply. His lips pulled back into a snarl, showing his razorblade-sharp teeth, which I knew could easily kill a were just as my teeth could. I followed his lead, and growls began to errupt from my pack as well as his.