Chapter Twenty-One

I was especially romanic when I wrote this. You've been warned.

Edited

Alexa

It was only when Logan noticed me watching them that I saw the indecision in his usually warm but now cold eyes. It only lasted for a moment, though. Then, like a flip of a switch, they grew icy cold. He quickly snapped his jaw down on to Father's neck, his teeth sinking into the furry flesh, turning red with blood as he roughly twisted Father's neck until a sickening snap was heard. Father's breathing ceased and his furred body fell limp against Logan's front paws, his neck at an odd angle.

I watched only because I was too stunned to do anything else. Horror was the only thing I felt besides the urge to vomit. Once I regained my sanity, I hurriedly closed my eyes, praying to whatever God may be out there that I could just erase that entire scene from my mind, but I knew I wasn't that lucky.

"Luna . . . God, you shouldn't have seen that. I'm so sorry," Matt said, guilt and concern coloring his voice as he gently pulled me away from the window, burying my face into his warm chest as he wrapped his arms around my neck. Despite the shock I was still struggling to deal with, I couldn't allow Matt to hurt because of a decision I'd made. "It was my fault, Matt. I should have listened to you. I'm sorry," I couldn't stop the flood of emotions that bombarded me in that moment, and I began to quietly sob into his shirt.

I was so caught up in my internal battles, that I hadn't even noticed when Matt had begun to run his hand gently up and down my back. It comforted me what little anything possibly could, which I assumed was the reason behind the action.

"Where is Logan?" I shakily asked him after a moment, once I finally got ahold of myself. I pulled away from him so I could look into his eyes. He was silent for a moment, his eyes glazed over, and then he finally replied, "he's getting cleaned up and finishing up some pack business. He'll come and get you when he's done." I nodded, in awknowledgement, before the loneliness got to me once again and I roughly buried myself into Matt's chest again, needing to feel the warmth of someone next to me. I felt the steady trembling of his chest, indicating he was lightly laughing at me as he wrapped his arms around me once again.

He awkwardly patted my back, and I felt guilt for making him uncomfortable, but it wasn't enough to get me to pull away. "Luna, if The Alpha finds us like this he won't be pleased." I knew that, I did. But I needed this. I needed the comfort. And Logan wasn't here to give me any himself. I opened my eyes breifly, but it was jus long enough for me to see Seth was giving us a disapproving look. I chose to ignore it.

After a moment, I realized Matt was comforting, but it didn't feel right to be in his arms. I didn't feel complete with him, like I somehow knew I would feel if I was in Logan's arms. Suddenly feeling guilty about being so close to another man, I gently pushed him away.

Just then, the door awung open and Logan strode in, his hair still slicked back and wet from what I assumed was a shower. He quickly scanned the room until his eyes finally found me. Then, he hurried over, wrapping my small body up in his muscular arms. A sense of calm washed over me the second his body made contact with mine, and I basked in it.

Logan turned slightly so that he could look at Matt and Seth, "you two can go. You're dismissed for the night." Seth nodded and left without a second thought. Seth, however, hesitated, looking over at me with a mix of worry and fear. Logan gave him a look, and Matt bowed his head in respect before quickly leaving.

As soon as the door shut behind Matt, Logan crashed his lips onto mine. I let out a small eeep sound, shocked by his actions. He didn't let up, instead his lips relentless moved against mine. It took me a second, but I eventually did respond and began moving my lips in sync with his. After a few seconds, he finally pulled away and I took that time to catch the breath he'd effectively stolen from me.

"I'm sorry, I knew you weren't ready. I couldn't control my wolf any longer." I didn't trust my voice to reply without giving away my internal battles, so instead, I simply gave him a curt nod.

He looked away from me, but not before I saw the hurt flash across his eyes, gone as quickly as it had came. For some reason, that had struck a cord within me, tapped on a nerve that I'd denied. And it hurt. It killed me a little inside just knowing that I'd caused this man pain. This man, who probably saved my life. This man, who saved me from so much pain I couldn't even imagine. And I'd hurt him.

I tried to think of the words, anything to fix this wrong, but nothing came to mind. I drew an absolute blank. That's when I realized that words couldn't fix this. I don't know what did it, but something inside of me told me what to do. It was like the little voice inside of my mind coaching me, but this time it wasn't entirely mine.

But, I still listened to what she had to say. And for once in my life I actually obeyed someone other than Father. Taking a timid step forward, I closed the distance between us, snaking my arms around his waist as I leaned into him, my head resting just below his chin. He leaned into me for a breif moment, and in that moment I felt absolutely complete. It was almost as if I'd been missing a part of myself my entire life and I'd just now found it and put it back where it belonged. It was the most peaceful moment of my life.

But, like all good things, it had to come to an end. An abrupt one, too.

"I'm sorry about your dad." And just like that my bubble of comfort imploded in on itself, bursting under the pressure of the outside world.

"The world's better off without him," I said, unsure of anything else. He nodded in agreement.

Then, he gently pushed me away from him and turned me around so that I was facing him. His expression grew serious. "I know you don't know much about packs, but things are going to change and they're going to change fast. I'll teach you as much as I can, but I don't know how much time I'll have."

I cut him off mid-ramble, "It's fine. What are you really trying to tell me?"

He took a deep breath. "Your father was Alpha of The Crescent Moon Pack. Since I killed him, my pack absorbs his. It's a painstakingly long and complicated process. . ."

"And?" I knew there was an 'and'. You could hear it in his voice.

"And there's also a few things about your family that I'd like to get sorted. I'm going to have the pack doctor come over and take a look at you."

I frowned, completely confused. "Why?"

He sighed. "Because your father said some interesting things and by all laws of nature you should be a wolf."

I just started my senior year and I'm taking loads of hard classes, so updates will probably be a longer wait. Thanks for all of your guys' support!!!