Chapter Fourteen

I began walking through the densely wooded area as soon as I was sure my feet were dry enough. I allowed my mind to take in my surroundings, living the sound of nature around me. I walked for hours, but admiring the natural beauty of the forest. By now, I knew that I'd put a safe amount of distance between Logan's pack and I. Wincing as I stepped on a sharp rock, my mind wondered to Logan. What would his reaction be? Would he hate me so much he'd kill me himself? I rejected that idea immediately after the sharp pain in my chest errupted.

I began having second thoughts about leaving until I remember the look of pure heart break and mourning on his handsome face. The way it twisted his features into something totally diferent had scared and hurt me.

I couldn't go back there. I wouldn't be the cause of anymore of Logan's pain. I'd just have to move on. I knew it would hurt him, but I would hurt him far more if I stayed. That's all I was capable of: hurting the people I love. Just like I'd hurt my mother, my father's word came back to me abruptly and I knew I couldn't go back to my home town.

I'd have to go somewhere completely new. I'd have to start my life over, maybe change my name so Logan couldn't find me. I nodded in confirmation. That's what I would do. What should my new name be? I contemplated different names for awhile as I strode around trees and strange, overgrown bushes.

And then, something leaped on my back, knocking me forward onto my stomach, causing my face to meet the hard ground. I couldn't control the scream that tore through my thoat as I rolled over on to my back and came face-to-face with a tan wolf. Its top lip was pulled up in a snarl, revealing its razorblade sharp canines.

It had me pinned to the ground with its large paw on my chest. I tried to loosen its grasp on me by squirming, but it was a futile attempt that only made the beast angrier. The pressure of its paw on my chest increased greatly and I could barely breathe.

I wasn't scared until then. Honestly, I thought I was going to die. I grew desperate and clawed at the wolf's paw. I knew it was useless, but I couldn't lay there and allow this thing to kill me. I must have hit a nerve because the paw jerked away from me quickly and I took the opportunity and rolled out from under it, hurriedly scurrying to my feet.

I didn't see it come at me. I didn't see its paw until it was only inches away from my body.

I didn't know how painful a werewolf's attack could be until its elongated claws tore through the soft flesh of my stomach.

A blood-curdling, ear-piercing scream erupted. I didn't even recognize it as my own, but in the back of my mind I knew it was. I watched in morbid curiosity as the wolf stalked even closer to me. In a desperate last attempt to save my life, I pushed my body back, scrambling to get as much distance between the wolf and I as I could.

Suddenly, the wolf stopped. It froze in place, its ears pricking up in attention. And then, it gave me one last glare before it turned around and broke out into a run.

I inhaled deeply, realizing that I hadn't been breathing through the entire assault. looking down at my stomach, I winced. There was blood gushing from the three deep gashes on my stomach.

Tears pricked in the corners of my eyes, and I suddenly wished that I had stolen a bottle of Advil from Logan before I left. I looked around, noticing a small cavern in the side of a nearby hill. I decided that it was big enough for me to fit inside and that I would use it as a makeshift shelter.

I glanced up at the sky. It was a cloudless night, and dawn was hours away. I needed to rest.

Slowly, I got to my feet. Careful not to injure myself further, I made my way through the thick vegetation in search of something to wrap my wound with.

Finding nothing, I reluctantly stripped myself of my shirt and tied it tightly around my waist, effectively putting pressure on the still bleeding wound. I grunted in pain, but kept moving. In my search, I'd wondered away from the cavern.

Luckily, I located the cavern quicker than I thought I would. Quickly, I brushed the excess dirt and leaves out of the cavern before crawling in. It was a little small, but it would work. I noticed a broken tree branch that still had several leaves on it. I grabbed it and situated it in front of the opening.

If Logan did know I was gone, he would probably come looking for me. I couldn't risk him finding me while I was resting.

I laid on my back and forced myself to relax.

Logan

I awoke just as the sun was rising up above the stand of trees just outside of my bedroom window. I immediately noticed the stale scent of my mate, signifying that Alexa hadn't been in bed for hours, probably since she left to go get some water.

She must not have been able to go back to sleep, so she just stayed up. Right? I ignored the tiny bit of doubt nagging at me in the back of my mind. She was probably in the kitchen or living room.

I got up slowly, and made my way downstairs. My worry grew as I noticed that her scent wasn't getting stronger. She wasn't in the house.

My wolf began whining in the back of my mind, clawing at my mental barriers, begging to get free so he could find our mate. Instead of allowing him to do so, I mind-linked my best fighters, my mate isn't in the house. Find her!

I ran out of the front door and met up with Drake and the rest of the quickly arriving fighters. We hurriedly created a plan for searching the territory. Then, we split up. I followed Alexa's scent, which was quickly disappearing.

We would find her. We had to find her. God, what would I do if we didn't? Tears automatically filled my eyes at just the thought of never seeing her again. Then, I harden my resolve and forced the tears back. I would find her if it was the last thing I did.

It's short but it's something.. I hope you guys aren't too mad at me. What do you think?