Chapter Thirteen

Logan

I was so happy to be sleeping beside my mate. It had been the biggest reason I'd longed to find her for all of these years. I wanted someone who was right for me. I wanted someone who would stand by my side through good times and bad times. I wanted someone who was perfect for me.

And she was. She was so perfect. Her skin was flawless and beautiful even with the scars that she was so afraid of anyone seeing. Her hair was silky and long, framing her face almost perfectly. And her eyes. . . Her eyes showed wisdom and knowledge that I'd only seen in The Elders' eyes.

I grinned as I thought of all of these things. I had her right next to me. I could reach out and caress her face, I could hug her. She was mine and no one else's. I couldn't describe the happiness that those facts brought me.

I didn't want to lose this feeling of pure happiness, so I didn't move from my position. I was laying flat on my back with Alexa sleeping peacefully to the left of me.

I watched her sleep, noticing just how adorable and tranquil she looked as she did so. It was like the calm before the storm, in an almost eerie way.

A few minutes passed and Alexa began to stir. Her eyes were glazed over by sleep, and her expression was angelic. I could get used to waking up to this everyday. I smiled at her warmly and she returned a groggy one of her own.

"Good morning," she said her voice a little huskies than usual. It was a huge turn on, but I couldn't think of her in that way until she was ready. So, I quickly focused my thoughts on the conversation we were having. "Good morning, love. Did you sleep well?" She nodded, murmuring a quiet, "yes. Did you?" I nodded, desperately trying to hide my grin.

"Let's go get something to eat, the funerals are in a few hours." She yawned and stretched, awkwardly inclining her head as if to say yes.

I led her to the kitchen, knowing full well that she could get there by herself. I just wanted to be with her. I came upon the omegas scrambling to get breakfast ready for the pack. Alexa leaned close to me, "Logan, what are they doing?" She asked, eyeing the men and woman hurrying around the kitchen. "They're cooking breakfast for the pack," I replied casually, not bothering to whisper as she had.

Alexa

"They cook for everyone?" I questioned, gesturing to everyone in the kitchen. Logan nodded. "Why?" I pressed.

Logan paused. I must have caught him off guard. "They're below everyone else," he finally said. "So? What is this, the 1950s? Everyone's equal, now." Logan chuckled, "though the human world has made strides in civil rights and equality, other species have not." He stopped speaking when he saw a small woman coming towards us.

She was one of the many people who had been hurrying around the kitchen. She looked Logan in the eyes before lowering her head and murmuring, "I'm sorry, Alpha Logan." I noticed Logan's eyes tear up and I immediately became angry at the woman. She was hurting him. "Thank you, Meghan," Logan replied stiffly, his voice hoarse with emotion. The small woman nodded awkwardly before slowly walking away and returning to her cooking station.

"What was that about?" I asked Logan once he blinked his tears away. He tore his gaze away from the workers to look me in the eye, "She was paying her respects to my loss," he looked away from me. I gently placed my hand on his shoulder, "What loss?" He took a deep, ragged breath. "The loss of Robert. He was my oldest friend and one of the wolves who were killed in the fight." I nodded lamely, unsure how to respond to this new information.

After a moment I murmured, "I'm sorry, too." He kissed my head and smiled at me. Well, it was more of a grimace, but I knew he was aiming for a smile. "Thank you, my love."