Chapter 8: A Maze of Illusions

Princess Cressida of Airia chuckled softly as she watched the travellers stumble around her palace. They were slowly breaking - some faster than others, but they were all breaking just the same. She smiled to herself as she played with her hair. Breaking them would be the fun part, but at the same time, their eternal servitude sounded appealing at the amount as well.

Her eyes glowed blue as she directed another of their 'nightmares'. She smirked as she watched the blond haired fire elemental writhe and howl on the floor. He would make a good servant... she chuckled as she watched his worst fears come to life.

Hmm, so he's afraid of losing control... And... a prophecy? Strange children. She chuckled to herself and closed her eyes. An image of a dark haired boy appeared - a scowl automatically appeared on her face as she remembered his rudeness. It would be satisfying to watch him grovel. He seemed to be rather fond of the other two, really quiet girls... Were they all water elementals? Hmm... the girls are actually quite pretty. What should I do with them...?

She frowned as she looked through the series of illusions and nightmares she had cast over the nine signs. The problem was... there were only eight of them going on. As she watched, one of the nightmares were suddenly cut off.

She stood up and opened her door. Hmm... oh, they're... my very own air elementals. Hmph. How did they shatter my spell? No matter. I'll have to dispose of them quickly before they go and wake the others.

She silently began to search for the two rebels, ever so slightly levitating to keep her feet from touching the floor.

---

Aquarius and Gemini sprinted noisily through the corridors, their footsteps clattering against the floor. "Hey, look, it's... the water elemental!" Gemini called, seeing a blond haired girl curled up on the ground. She was whimpering and hugging herself.

"Cancer... No, Cancer, no... Scorpio, why are you..." Pisces mumbled, still immersed in her nightmare. Aquarius immediately got down next to her and began to shake her violently. "Wake up!" she hissed, trying to drag Pisces to her feet.

Gemini waved her hand in Pisces' face, sending a gust of wind into her face. Pisces flinched slightly and her eyelid twitched. "She's a water elemental, isn't she? Maybe she'll be revived with water?" Gemini suggested, looking around nervously. Aquarius hesitated for a second, then nodded. "That's actually a good idea." she muttered. "If only I could control my powers well enough..."

Aquarius furrowed her brow in concentration. A tiny rainstorm appeared in the corridor and immediately pelted the three with water. Pisces let out a tiny sigh of relief and her expression immediately became more relaxed. "Wake up, Pi... Pisces?" Gemini said, shaking the water elemental's arm.

Pisces groaned and opened her eyes. "Where... where am I?" Aquarius hauled her to her feet. "Not much time to explain. Evil princess. Illusions. Help your friends."

Pisces stared blankly at Aquarius for a few seconds before realising what she was saying. "Wait... oh, I see. Then why are we waiting? Let's go and find my friends!" she yelled. Gemini cheered in response and began running, but she immediately slipped on the large puddle that had formed.

"Aquarius, can you clear this up?" Gemini asked, gesturing at the mini rainstorm. Aquarius concentrated again. The rain began to lessen slightly, but the puddles stayed. "Let me help." Pisces offered, gesturing at the water. Almost immediately, the puddles evaporated and the rainstorm vanished. Even the water droplets on Gemini and Aquarius vanished, leaving them and their clothes perfectly dry.

"You need to teach me how to do that sometime." Aquarius said with slight admiration in her voice. Pisces smiled slightly at her, glad to see they were warming up to each other. "When we get out of here. Now, our friends...?"