Chapter 19: Consequences

Author's Note: I finished my piano exams, so I can finally write more again! I'm sorry this chapter is short, but I hope you like it!

---

Leo's eyes flickered open. His cheek was pressed to the coarse dirt; with a pained groan, he shifted over so he was staring at the sky.

I don't want to get up...

The sky was dark with smoke.

Weird... wasn't it... blue before...?

Leo lay there for a few moments, quietly breathing and staring blankly upwards. Everything felt numb.

What did I do again...?

Leo's head was swimming.

Why am I here...?

Leo's eyes widened with shock.

Aries, Sagittarius - the others!

Leo rolled over and tried to push himself to his feet. Searing pain laced up his arms and he winced.

What happened...?

He gritted his teeth and forced himself to sit up. He leaned heavily against a large piece of rubble, panting for breath.

Leo sluggishly lifted a hand. What met his gaze was horrifying; dark gashes covered his arms. His skin had been coated with a layer of sweat, dirt and dust, but what was strangest was that his hands were scorched black, like how a leaf would turn into ash after being burnt...

But that was impossible. He was a fire elemental, and he knew that he was immune to fire. He'd even swam in rivers of lava without breaking a sweat.

He shuddered and put down his hand.

How long has it been...?

Leo stared out at where the wall had been. Forests had been completely demolished and whatever was left was burning.

Destruction... No wonder they didn't want us to... meet each other.

Leo shook slightly. His hands curled into fists, but another fresh jolt of pain laced up his fingers.

What have I done...?

Leo twisted around to stare at the unmoving bodies of his friends.

Did I... kill them?

He struggled to his feet. Everything hurt - it was like he had been plunged into ice cold water. He made towards the closest person - Sagittarius, who was slumped over Aries.

He limped over. His entire body was shaking from the pain. As soon as he neared her, he fell; but he kept on going. He scrambled over to her on his hands and knees and rolled her off Aries.

"Sagittarius!" he tried to say. His voice came out in a rasp and he coughed. Smoke trickled from his mouth.

He leaned in closer. His heart jumped with joy after he heard her quiet, but steady breathing. He checked Aries' pulse and sighed with relief.

His dull blue eyes flickered over their bodies and was immediately drawn to their hands. Like his, their hands had been burnt badly.

He flinched at the sight. However, he was interrupted from his train of thought by a quiet groan. Leo jumped slightly as he heard movement.

"L... Leo...?" Sagittarius whispered. Leo helped her sit up and lean against a piece of rubble "What happened...? Did we save the world...?"

Leo blinked. Saving the world...?