Chapter Four

I bolt up at the sound of the cell opening. Upon looking up, I see Jacob being tossed in the cell with me thrashing around. "Have fun with your girlfriend," the guard spat and slammed the cell shut leaving us alone in the dark.

I can hardly make out his features, but I see a small grin displayed on his face, "Tomorrow is execution day," he simply says.

I swallow and sit back in my corner, "why're you here?"

"I couldn't leave you alone, Lora. You're my ticket out, and my mom must be worried sick about me."

"I-I just.." I pause and look down at my feet. "Jacob, I can't get us out if Damien doesn't come down here," I come clean. I really don't want this kid to have the highest hopes of getting out. I, myself, am beginning to lose hope.

"Wh-what? Why should Alpha be down here?"

I bite my lip as I contemplate on telling him or not. "I...It's-uh, it's complicated," I scratch the back of my neck.

"Well, the chances of him coming are deteriorating and tomorrow we're going to be killed. I'm going to be killed and my mother won't see me again, not even knowing where I've gone and if I'm even alright!" I can hear the pain in his voice as he goes on.

"Jacob, I'm... I'm sorry.. I really am," I whisper.

"What made you think you could lie to me? Why did you think that Damien would even let us out, Lora. If that's even your real name!"

I bite my lip, "It's not."

He throws his hands in the air, "of course it's not. Why am I even surprised?"

"My name is Alena Elizabeth Rowse," I state.

Jacob pauses and I can tell he's just staring at me. "Great," he grumbles, "another lunatic."

"Lunatic?" I yell.

"Yes! You're just another crazy girl who thinks she's Alpha's mate. You're sick," he scoffs. Great, just what I expected. I don't blame him for not believing me. I sigh deeply and shake my head. "I'm sorry, mama," he mumbles.

I wish I hadn't told him my name. I wish I could take back everything I'd said. I hate watching him beat himself up for my own mistake. "I-"

"Shut up," he growls before I can utter a single sentence out. I decide to do as he says and I rest back in the corner. We sit in silence and I swallow lumps forming in my throat. How can Damien not be here? He must be the one that took me, so why disappear all of a sudden? I know for sure that was his wolf I saw in the woods the other day.

I exhale deeply and run my hand through my hair. It's a tangled mess and I can't even pull my hand through it. I feel a sticky and muddy substance out of it that makes me scrunch my face up in disgust entirely. I need to get out of this disgusting place, and Jacob, somehow. Hell, most of the prison should be freed. There are innocent children in here. Damien has become the monster he feared he'd be, and everyone blames it on me, but are his actions entirely my fault?

I wipe my sleep-filled eyes and hear sobbing. I figure it's Jacob at first, but I realize he's not even making any noise. I strain my ear to the sound and realize it's a child's cry. The cries soon turn into wailing for their mother to come back. "At least she didn't last to execution day," mumbles Jacob.

"You do realize we're going to be stripped naked and burned alive? Some prisoners kill their young themselves so they won't have to live to see the torture," he continues. As he explains, my stomach twists in knots and I feel so sick and lightheaded. It's hard to believe any of this is real. Why didn't Lily tell me?

I can't help but carry some of the guilt. Damien wouldn't be the person if I left him, but I felt as if I had no choice. I couldn't live the rest of my teenage years trapped under his watch 24/7 and constantly controlled. I've been independent, even as a child. Losing my brother at a young age, and Damien is the reason why. I can't look at him the same way ever again, and I don't know if I can ever forgive him for what he did. It's sick. What he's doing now is sick, and no one can stop him. He's a Lycan; immortal, one of the last, and my mate.

"Lora... Alena... whatever it may be," calls Jacob.

I look up at his silhouette facing me. I respond, "what?"

"Let's say you are Alpha's real mate and you are telling the truth about this crazy shenanigan... why would you tell me?"

I shrug, "you deserve to know the truth, and I told you the first fake name because I knew you wouldn't believe me anyway, but it was worth a shot," I confess.

"I hate Alena, and if you really are her, I hate her even more now."

I grow defensive, "excuse me?"

"She's selfish, that's what. She left her mate behind. A Lycan at that. What idiot does that?"

I narrow my eyes and hiss, "he kidnapped me! I'm a human for Christ's sake! Would you expect me to cuddle him at night knowing he's the reason my brother died? Put yourself in my shoes, and picture your mate killing your mother, could you forgive her?"

Jacob is silent, and I'm glad he doesn't continue. If anyone were in my shoes, I'm sure they'd do the same. "You're right," he whispers. "I'm sorry. I forgive you."

"Why?"

"I have a day left to live, Alena — Lora — Alora," he sighs. "I don't want it to end like this-this pointless argument. At least I'm not in this alone," he scoots over to my side, and I nod my head in agreement. Jacob isn't obligated under any right to forgive me, but I'm trying my best to keep my promise.

"I'll try to make your last day worthwhile," I laughed dryly. Jacob doesn't respond, and I turn over to see that his silhouette is unmoving in the dark crouched next to me. "Jacob?" My call is met with a loud snore, and relief floods me as I realize he's fallen asleep, and not dead.

I lean against the corner I'm sat up against and follow in his footsteps.