Chapter Sixteen

When I open my eyes, I meet familiar brown eyes gazing back at me. I give Damien a funny look and sit up in bed with the blanket covering my chest. "Were you watching me sleep?" I yawn.

He nods, "Yes. Humans are strange." I can't tell if he's trying to be insulting or not. "Not in a bad way," he adds. "I've never been around one human for such a long period of time," he explains.

I shrug, "what can I say? I'm one of a kind."

"You're right," Damien trails off and climbs out of bed. I notice he only has a towel draped around his waist and he looks ecstatic for whatever reason. "I'm about to hop in the shower. Care to join me?" A smirk spreads across his face.

"What do you have planned for today?" I avoid his question.

"Well," he starts to pace the room in deep thought. "I'm scheduled to meet with various people today. I'm getting basic knowledge of the structure of the kingdom and regulating it. I'm not entirely sure of this, but one of my advisors, Stacey, says she's getting it all under control," he explains.

My eyebrows unintentionally shoot up. "Stacey?" I blurt out. I don't intend to get jealous, but when it comes to Damien, suppressing my emotions doesn't seem to exist.

"Yes. I want you to come with me today so that you'll be aware of everything as well." He either doesn't notice my jealousy about this Stacey girl or he's brushing it off.

"Okay," I nod in agreement. "I'll get in after you," I mutter.

His grin falters, "oh, really?" He pouts a little. "I was looking forward to that."

I roll my eyes, "we're not technically exclusive, Damien. I shouldn't be having sex with you in the first place."

An amused smile plagues his face and he inches closer to the bed. I feel my face heat up. "My question will always stand, Alena, whenever you're ready. We don't have to be exclusive because you're mine, and everyone knows that. You can fight it all you want, my love," his tone is teasing. He lifts my chin up and I have no choice but to look into his eyes. If possible, my face is more aflame than before. He chuckles at my reaction and turns to leave the room.

"I hate you," I grumble.

"Lying isn't healthy. Your clothes are organized in the closet. You'll find your way," and with that, Damien leaves me on the bed embarrassed as ever.

___

After breakfast, Damien immediately goes into work mode. I don't know why he's including me in everything, but I don't complain because it's better than being cooped up in the room all day. "Alena, I have some people I want you to meet." Damien says. We've been wandering around the palace like lost puppies, and finally, Damien stops outside of a door. "Regiis Bigas, but in English it's similar to a Royal Advisor. They're my team that will be working closely with me during my reign," he informs.

I nod as he opens the door. There are 5 people sitting  at a round table, but when they spot us they immediately look in our direction. "Maiestas," they say in unison. I look up at Damien in confusion.

'It means Majesty,' he mindlinks me and it shocks me because he's only done it one other time. I try to conceal the shock on my face and I nod in understanding.

"Please speak in English," Damien swiftly walks into the room and sits down in one of the chairs. He looks at me and then pats the seat next to him. When I don't move, he speaks up, "or you can sit in my lap if you wish."

I roll my eyes and walk over and sit down next to him while his advisors eye me like a hawk. "Numquam vidi hominem prope," one of them mutters to a woman. I assume that she's Stacey because she's the only woman in the room besides me. She has long silky dark brown hair and a perfectly sculpted face. Her dark blue gaze lingers on me a bit before returning to Damien.