surfing

cody waited excitedly for anaya, he had already strapped his board to the top of his car and was waiting for her in his wetsuit. the doorbell rang and he called for her to open it, and she did. she stood before him in a wetsuit that formed her body well, accentuating her curves.

"hey, honey," anaya said brightly, flipping her hair over her shoulder in an attempt to move it from her face, "are you ready?"

cody stood and nodded, "yeah, let's go."

he approached her and placed a peck on her lips before walking past her to the door, she quickly followed.

"you bought this with your youtube money?" anaya jokingly asked, gesturing to his mazda before getting in the passenger seat.

cody chuckled as he started the car, "yeah, making the big bucks here, baby."

"the life of an influencer," anaya mocked his voice and looked up at him, cody stopped in his tracks and looked at her with a smile plastered across his face.

"how do you know i say that?" he questioned.

"i'm a chodester," anaya replied, "i started watching your videos."

"really," cody mused as he backed out of his driveway, "and what did you think?"

"i think you're funny," she admitted, "sarcastic and mean? yes, but funny nonetheless."

cody nodded, "but you see, being sarcastic and mean is my brand."

anaya rolled her eyes and laughed a bit, choosing not to reply to his stupid comment. they chatted back and forth about simple stuff and cody kept a smile on his face the whole time, in the back of his head he was confused though. it wasn't often that he met a girl he enjoyed spending time with, sure, he had girl friends, but anaya felt different. from her stupid nicknames and her liking for adventure, he was drawn to her.

after a bit of silence cody placed his large hand on her black clad thigh, he squeezed it lightly and left it there. anaya glanced up and smiled before putting her head down and blushing. cody had his eyes trained on the road but he could still see her from the corner of his eye.

"what?" he asked, watching the smile not leave her face.

"it's nothing," she cleared her throat and stretched, shifting her leg so that cody's hand fell into the seat with a pathetic plop.

she turned her attention to the approaching beach outside the window and with a small sigh of disappointment, cody placed his hand back into his own lap. maybe that's why he liked her so much, she was so difficult to read. one minute she wanted him and the next she was sleeping with jake. one second she flirts and the next he can't even touch her leg.

they got to the beach and any frustration cody felt was taken away as he surfed, he and anaya were in the water at the same time, but he wasn't focused on her. as soon as he was in the water he felt good, he had loved being in there. whether it was diving or surfing, there was just something about being in the water that made everything more calm. he stood on his board, maneuvering through wave after wave until he was afraid he couldn't stand anymore. he laid on the board, stomach down when he heard his name called.

"cody!" anaya called over to him over the sounds of waves crashing on top of stagnant water.

"what's up?" he asked, raising his voice to match hers.

"i'm going to the shore, i need a drink," she explained as she began to paddle to the beach. cody gave her a thumbs up, dangling his arms in the cold water.

he watched as anaya got up out of the water, picking up her board and walking to a little stand that was set up on the beach. she chatted nicely with the man at the stand and he handed her a drink, making cody wonder how she got it without paying. he felt creepy but he just watched her as she sipped her drink, admiring the way her hair glinted in the sun. cody shook his head and scoffed to himself for thinking of her so often, turning his attention to ride another wave.

anaya's point of view

anaya sat on the beach and drank her lemonade, staring out at the vast ocean. cody's swimming around in there somewhere, she thought, confused as to why he didn't get out with her to get something to drink. it was clear that he liked her, anaya knew that. but he liked her in a different way than the men she hooked up usually did. he was kind and he made her smile and he was sweet, so why couldn't she allow herself to feel for him? she could recognize that he was attractive, that he was good in bed, but she didn't want to be with him. he was just different.

"hey there," a man sat next to her on the sand and smiled widely, flashing straight white teeth. he had dark hair and tan skin, with a close shaven beard. he crossed his legs like a kindergartner and stretched his hand out, "i'm robert."

anaya glanced out at the ocean, looking for cody but not seeing him, "anaya."

"you come surfing a lot?" robert asked, trying to make conversation.

"no, not really. i came here with a friend," anaya explained.

"a boyfriend?" robert questioned.

anaya chuckled a little before responding, "and why would that matter?"

"because," he shrugged, "it determines whether or not i'm going to ask you on a date."

"well," anaya mused, "no, he isn't my boyfriend. he's my boy, pause, friend."

robert let out a laugh, "so, then you won't mind adding your number to my phone?"

he handed her his phone and smiled at her encouragingly, as soon as anaya typed her name she felt a presence next to her. she turned her head to see who it was, and was greeted by a kiss. she was flustered, unable to move out of shock as the pair of lips moved passionately against hers before the man pulled away.

"hey babe," cody said after they had separated, "what's going on over here?"

he had turned his attention to robert who scoffed in anger, he snatched his phone from anaya's hands and stood up quickly before walking away.

"robert! wait-" anaya stood up too, but robert has already stormed off. she looked down at cody, who was still sitting and now sipping on her drink, "what the fuck was that?"

"what?" cody asked cluelessly, "i thought he was bothering you."

"bothering me?" anaya asked in disbelief, "are you serious?"

"yeah," cody said, standing up so he could look her in the eye better.

"right now, cody, the only person bothering me is you." anaya spat, bending down to pick up her board, striding away from cody without a second glance back.