barcelona

cody and anaya boarded the plane with seats directly next to each other, anaya chatted excitedly about what she wanted to show cody when they got to her hometown, barcelona. her happy nature helped to distract cody from the turbulent air and flight jitters. flight attendants passed out peanuts and shitty cocktails throughout the flight, which they both accepted.

"have you ever been to spain?" anaya asked, "it's a beautiful country."

"no," cody answered, "i'm excited! are there cool clubs?"

anaya nodded quickly, "yes, oh my god, we're gonna party, hard."

"spain fucks," cody said in his best douche bag voice, "hard."

anaya laughed whimsically, making cody's stomach knot up then unravel with a pang of caring towards her. it made him wanna kiss her right then and there, but that's not what friends do. while they talked it hadn't occurred to them that they were the only people on the plane still awake. the other passengers had their overhead lights off, eyes closed in a light slumber.

"excuse me," a flight attendant bent down and placed her arm on anaya's, "can you please quiet down? we can hear you from the front of the plane."

cody and anaya snickered like school children and nodded, "yes ma'am," cody replied in a british accent, "we're quite sorry to be a bother."

anaya laughed and joined in with an accent, "yes, beg our pardon."

the flight attendant rolled her eyes and walked away, shooting them a glare over her shoulder as she made her way down the aisle. once she was out of ear shot anaya leaned in to whisper in cody's ear, "so, as i was saying-,"

"shh," cody said, his eyes closed and his hands folded over his lap.

"cody-," anaya started before he cut her off.

"shh," he repeated, "you're being a disturbance, you're the only person on the plane talking."

his lips quivered as he struggled to keep a straight face, anaya pushed his shoulder playfully and closed her eyes too, succumbing to her exhaustion and falling asleep.

//

the flight was successful and the duo got their bags with ease, it was surprising how well things were flowing. from the way the lines in the airport moved smoothly and with haste, to the shuttle that picked them up to deliver them to the hotel. with their bags tossed in the back of the SUV and them in the back seat, they drove the long distance to their home for the week. anaya pointed out landmarks and places that held memories to cody along the way.

"i went to elementary school there," she said, "one time i fell off the swings and broke my arm."

"were you a clumsy kid?" cody asked, glad to hear about her upbringing.

"yeah, very. i tripped over air, my mom thinks it's funny that i became a model because it's surprising that i can walk down a runway without eating shit."

they both laughed then resided in comfortable silence for the rest of the way there. their smooth travels ceased when they got to the front desk of the hotel. the young man manning the desk spoke only to anaya, they spoke rapidly to each other in spanish. anaya gave cody's name and the man had a confused look on his face as he looked it up on the computer. they exchanged some more and anaya explained the situation to cody.

"he says there's a room, but there's only one bed," she translated, "will that be okay?"

"i don't know," cody answered sarcastically, "do friends share beds?"

anaya ignored his snarky comment and told the attendant that the room would be fine. he handed them each a hotel key and they headed to the elevator. their room was on the 5th floor with a beautiful view of barcelona spread out in front of them.

"wow," cody said as they stood infront of the window, "that's fucking breathtaking."

it was night time and the lights twinkled across the horizon, "yeah," anaya replied with a yawn, "it's gorgeous."

she excused herself to the bathroom to change into pajamas, a pair of sweatpants and a simple lavender shirt. cody watched as she climbed into the bed, "stay on your side, and i'll stay on mine."

"alright," cody answered, stripping off his shirt and pants, leaving him only in boxers.

he stayed on the right side of the bed, scrolling through his social media as he heard anaya's breathing grow heavier and heavier by the second. soon, she was in a deep sleep, shifting to gain comfort. cody looked down at her and smiled at the thin line of drool dappling down her mouth.

in her sleep, she grumbled a bit moving her body then finding herself on cody's side of the bed. at first her hand was merely making contact with his arm but within minutes she was completely cuddled up to him. her arm draped across his body and her head resting on his bicep.

cody moved carefully and set his phone down, scooting down on the bed and closing his eyes too, allowing the warmth of her body coax him to sleep.