Chapter Twenty Four: Alone For a Year

()

After leaving project freelancer I didn't know what to do, my family was dead, my friends had all died due to the project, I had no home, and I was all alone. Until one day I was discovered by Megan Wu, I was, well I hit rock bottom. I was surviving on scavenging and begging for food and money, it wasn't the best parts of my life but one day while I was scavenging for food a lady stopped me. I froze in fear at being caught but surprisingly she was really sweet. Young man, What are you doing?" "I U-Um-" I stuttered embarrassed, "Where are you're parents?" I started tearing up, "Th-They died." "Oh sweetie. Come here." She said while taking my hand. She brought me inside a nice looking house where she led me to a bathroom there she started a bath then shut the door. I was a bit nervous but after a deep breath to cleaned up. When I was finished, I opened the door to see a man who looked at me shocked. I was scared suddenly the lady appeared with cloths in her hands but quickly noticing the man she said, "Oh Mason, I didn't know you were home." "Megan, What's going on here?" He asked calmly as she explained why I was here after I got dressed I went downstairs to hear them arguing. I frowned telling them, "I-If you want, I can just go? He sighed then said, "How about you just stay the night?"
"Thank you, honey." She said while kissing his cheek. I was worried but followed her upstairs to a guest room. It was strange to actually lay in a bed again but nice as well I soon fell asleep. That morning, I awoken to the smell of breakfast I got up to see the lady from last night greeting me happy while handing me a plate, "I'm sure you're hungry." I was about to leave when I stomach growled she smiled telling me to sit down while she wakes up her husband. I ate my breakfast soon enough her husband appeared, "You know it's not going anywhere." I blushed in embarrassment telling him shyly. "I know that." "I-I'm just really hungry." "So how old are you?" He asked curiously so I told him, I'm-I'm fourteen. But i'll be fifthteen in the fall." "How long have you been out on the streets?" "Not long." I told him honestly. "What happened to your parents?" I now averted my gazed telling him, "I-I don't want to talk about it." He sighed then asked me, "How do you feel about living here for now? "I don't want to intrude"-"It's okay, I'm sure my wife would the company." I started to smile a bit. "T-Thank you, Mister." "Call me Mason." It's been a few weeks since I started living with Mason and Megan, It's the best, Megan's sweet while Mason kind however things took a big drift when I had a nightmare. It was about the project only everyone was still there it was great suddenly it became grey everyone was dying and I couldn't do anything about it. They all chanted my name telling me it was my fault they died. When I finally woke up I was on top of Mason about to cut his throat. "Mas-Mason? I said his name with tears in my eyes fearful of what I almost did I quickly let him go. I'm so sorry! I-I didn't know what I did! I apologized scared that i had hurt him. "What was that?" "I-" I tried talking but nothing came out. "How did you do that?" He asked in shock I said nothing not knowing how to answer him. "Please say something?" "I'm sorry." I told him ashamed he sighed, "It's alright but where did you learned that?" "I don't want to talk about it." He sighed the told me, "Listen if you're interested I can teach you a few things but you can't tell Megan alright?" I was scared about it. "Let me think about it, please?" I asked worried he gave me a soft smile, "Alright but let me know soon, okay?"