Introducing Brightheart

Disclaimer: I, Darkpetal16, do not own Naruto.

Warning: This chapter is 50% angst and 50% comfort. Then we'll be back to happy and love.

"I saw a dumbass put a water bottle in the pringles holder on the treadmill at the gym."

-Anon

( 。◕‿‿◕。)

Feathers fell gently around us, and I felt the genjutsu wanting to take a hold of me. I immediately dispelled it out, disliking the feeling of foreign chakra inside of me. Kakashi dispelled it over Naruto, and Naruto lunged away from him, his eyes wide as he watched Gaara begin his transformation into Shukaku.

Hinata dispelled the genjutsu over Lee and Shikamaru, and Kakashi barked orders at Naruto to stay back.

"But look! Sasuke's going after Gaara!"

"Shit," Kakashi breathed, then looked at all of us. "Okay, everyone but Sakura, you need to bring Sasuke back."

'Why is he sending so many?'

He might think this is a chance for Orochimaru to attack Sasuke.

'Then why won't he go instead?'

He's a Jōnin. He has to protect the civilians first. Genin don't have that rule, yet.

He wasted no time in summoning Pakkun, and all of them exchanged glances before they followed the cute pug.

"What do I do, Sensei?" I asked him.

"You're coming with me and you're healing the civilians," Kakashi said. "Stay close. When a medical tent is set up, I'll take you there."

"Okay!"

Kakashi and I leapt off the balcony and climbed up to the massive sleeping population above. There were countless shinobi fighting one another around the civilians, and several enemy shinobi tried to kill the helpless civilians. It seemed like the Otogakure shinobi goal was not to kill the Konoha shinobi, but to slaughter the civilians.

The unfortunate truth was that not every civilian could be perfectly protected by our shinobi.

Chūnin were ordered to begin the evacuation, but they could only carry so many, and civilians didn't have the natural resistance to genjutsus that trained shinobi and kunoichi had. Breaking them from a genjutsu would take time—time we did not have—and even if they were broken, there was no guarantee they wouldn't cause more trouble by panicking.

Gai met up with us soon, and the two of them fought off many nameless enemies while I worked to save what lives I could. When I healed someone, I carried them over to a small pile, so they were all packed tightly together and it was easier for Kakashi and Gai to defend them. It was...

It was very different than any fight I had been in.

I wasn't fighting for my life. It wasn't a glorious battle between two matched opponents.

It was—

It was a slaughter. The Otogakure shinobi did everything they could to try and cut our population. In the distance I could hear screams and explosions rock throughout our village and I knew the invasion was going on elsewhere. It wasn't kept to the arena.

The people that I saw today was only a small portion of the people in danger.

The atmosphere was thick and uncomfortable, and more than once I reached a civilian whose heart no longer beat. Eventually, though, all civilians were cleared out (dead or alive) and Kakashi herded me off to a medical tent set up in one of the safe zones.