CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
LOST LOVED ONES

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     The Strix headquarters were just as Henrik remembered it—drowning in money, overcompensating, and full of people Henrik couldn't stand. It reminded him of Klaus's home back in Mystic Falls. No one stopped him when he arrived, and Henrik couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. He decided not to think about it at all and looked around the place for a familiar face. It wasn't long until he found one. She came toward him with a smile that seemed more sarcastic than it was welcoming.

"Henrik," Aya greeted, locking her hands behind her back. "How good it is to see you." Henrik raised an eyebrow. He didn't go to meet her halfway. Her smile had disappeared by the time she stopped in front of him.

"Aya," he greeted, not even bothering to pretend to be happy to see her. "I would ask how you are, but I don't really care." His eyes flickered over her shoulder. It was a dismissive gesture, one to make her angry. It worked. He saw a muscle in her jaw twitch as she gritted her teeth together.

"My, my," she drawled, forcing herself to sound casual. Henrik sighed and let his eyes meet hers again. He was already tired of this little game. "What have I done to earn such distaste?" Henrik raised an eyebrow again.

"You broke my brother's heart," he said flatly. "That was enough." Aya nearly scowled at the mention of her past romance with Elijah, but controlled her expression quickly.

"Come now, Henrik," Aya said a moment later, trying to dismiss it entirely. "That is between me and Elijah. It has nothing to do with you." Henrik didn't respond. She frowned at him then. It almost seemed genuine. "We used to be friends once."

"Once," Henrik pointed out. "And that friendship ended the moment you chose these people over him."

"So protective over your family," Aya said. She was on the defensive now, which didn't surprise him. Elijah always had been a touchy subject for her. Henrik still didn't quite know what had happened between them. All he could remember was Elijah heartbroken afterward. He hated seeing his brother so sad. "It begs the question as to why you're with Tristan. He did agree to throw your sister into the ocean, after all." Henrik cocked his head to the side thoughtfully. It didn't surprise him that Aya was suspicious. She always had been the smart one.

"And you're the one who shoved the stake through her heart. Thank you for reminding me about that." Aya went very still then, noting the subtle change in the air around her. His power always had been a physical thing when he didn't bother reigning it in. He smiled at her pleasantly, even when the lights flickered above them. "I am not above killing you, Aya. Get out of my sight before I do." Just like that, Henrik's power was gone, reigned back inside of him. Aya, looking unnerved for the first time in centuries, turned and walked briskly away, trying to look casual and failing. She had always been afraid of magic. Henrik shook his head at her retreating back, then turned sharply and snapped his fingers at a random vampire passing by.

"Tristan. Where is he?" Henrik demanded. The vampire nodded toward a set of double doors. Henrik was walking through them a second later, stopping when he saw that Tristan was talking to a group of older, more dangerous vampires. Henrik narrowed his eyes at them. Tristan gave him a disapproving look, and Henrik just arched his brow and said, "I called."

"Yes," Tristan sighed, frowning as he glanced at the clock on the wall. He waved his hand dismissively and added, "Leave us." The vampires filed out. Henrik grimaced when they neared him and stepped around them. He waited until everyone was gone and the door was shut firmly behind him before he walked forward.