CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY
OVERWHELM ME

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse."

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     It was easy to find Klaus and Lucien. Klaus's car was a broken, tangled mess in the middle of the road. Henrik was the first out of the car, opening his door before Elijah had even pulled his car to a complete stop. He knew that Klaus had been on his way home with Rebekah when Lucien had caused the crash. He could see Rebekah's coffin in the middle of the road, having been thrown out of the trunk during the crash. Henrik made his way over to it, not bothering to avoid the glass sprayed out across the concrete, while Freya and Elijah went to help Klaus. Henrik could hear them fighting, crashing through the walls of an abandoned house. Henrik couldn't focus on that, not until he knew that Rebekah wasn't ridden with poisonous bites.

When he pried open the lid of her coffin, he released a huge breath of relief when he saw that she was alright. Bending to quickly press a kiss to her forehead, he closed the coffin again and left it where it was. He could see Lucien, Klaus, and Hayley in the distance. He couldn't see Freya or Elijah, so he assumed that Freya was hiding them both. He wondered why they were waiting to take Lucien out, but then he realized what Lucien was doing. He had a hold of Hayley, his hand shoved through her back to grip her heart. Henrik cloaked himself as he neared, not wanting to spook Lucien enough for him to kill Hayley.

"Was I not clear when I murdered Finn and Camille?" Lucien was saying. The sound of Finn's name leaving his mouth felt like a physical blow, and Henrik had to restrain himself from lashing out. His only consolation was that he had managed to save Cami, though whether he actually did save her or not was up for debate. She was alive, but she wasn't living. Hopefully he could rectify that soon. "I don't care who dies! But since you do, indulge me and I might spare the mother of your child." Lucien twisted his hand then. A cry ripped from Hayley's throat, and fresh blood flew from her mouth. Henrik, again, had to restrain himself from lashing out. There was no guarantee that Lucien would let go of her heart if Henrik sent him flying backwards.

Luicen smiled at Klaus, satisfied that he'd managed to get under his skin. Henrik should have gone through with his threat all those months ago. Giving him a Glasgow smile certainly would have fit his personality much better than his charming one.

"Kneel," Lucien ordered, his voice quiet now. There was a rage in his voice now, an anger that could only come from a place of resentment. Henrik frowned when he heard it. A small part of him couldn't help thinking that Lucien hadn't always been like this. He was a product of his environment, of years of thinking he was Klaus and running from Mikael. Henrik quickly pushed those thoughts away. In the end, it didn't matter. Lucien was going to die. He wasn't going to feel guilty about it.

"Get on your knees!" Lucien ordered when Klaus didn't move to kneel. "I can feel her heart pounding in my fist. Do you really want to measure your pride against my mercy?" Those words seemed to do it, because Klaus slowly lowered himself to the ground, head bowed. Henrik had never seen him look so weak, not unless Mikael was involved. It made him feel sick. Fortunately, it wasn't a sight he had to endure for long. As soon as Klaus went to kneel, Lucien had loosened his grip on Hayley's heart, and that was when Elijah made his move. Lucien went flying. Hayley fell to the ground, so while Freya appeared and started chanting, Henrik went to check on her.

"I'm okay, I'm okay," Hayley reassured, though she was still coughing up blood. Henrik have her an unimpressed look.

"Well, you certainly look okay," he said flatly, managing to pull a weak smile from her. Releasing a small, relieved breath, he reached from Hayley's hands. "Come on, let's get you up. Neither of us want to miss this." They turned toward Lucien just in time. Freya had finally stopped chanting, and even though she was breathing hard, she looked satisfied.