CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
ALWAYS WORTH IT

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."

(   content warning blood magic   )

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     "I just want to know why she offered you a position and not me," Francis said an hour later, while they were on a plane and Henrik was leaning his head on his shoulder, trying to get a small nap in. They had only been in the air for about half an hour, and Henrik had thought the conversation surrounding the teaching position Caroline had offered Henrik was over. When he heard Francis bring it up again, an exasperated grin immediately started pulling at his mouth, and a laugh tumbled up his throat. Francis continued like he couldn't feel Henrik shaking against his shoulder. "I would make a great teacher!"

"Francis," Henrik said gently, trying to hold in his laughter as much as possible, "is it really worth this much effort?" Francis was moving, his shoulder shifting under Henrik's cheek. He grunted and raised his head, blinking his eyes open. Francis had pulled his phone out of his pocket and was typing away. Henrik frowned at it for a moment. He opened his mouth, closed it, then snorted in amusement. "Are you emailing Caroline? Who even emails anymore?"

"Well, I can't text or call her, we're flying," Francis pointed out, waving around at their seats in first class. "But I want an explanation as soon as possible. I would make a fantastic vampire life coach. I managed not to drain you dry after being desiccated for five years. I am a master at control." Henrik bit down on his bottom lip then, as hard as he could, just to keep his amused grin and laughter back. It didn't work, and both came forward anyway.

"You emphasizing every other word doesn't make it true," Henrik pointed out, not because Francis was wrong, but because he knew it would get on Francis's last nerve. It did, and Henrik laughed some more when Francis lowered his phone and turned to face him. Before Francis could give a speech about how good he was at controlling himself around blood as well as other things, Henrik spoke first. He knew Francis was great at control; Francis didn't need to convince him. "Are you really willing to switch to an all-animal diet?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. "You do know the Salvatore School doesn't allow it's students or it's staff to drink human blood, right? I don't really know why, but they don't." Henrik had the pleasure of watching Francis pause as he absorbed those words. He looked just as confused as Henrik did when he had learned about it from Hope.

"They don't have to know," Francis said eventually, waving a hand in the air before going back to constructing his email. Henrik stared at him in disbelief, then huffed out a laugh.

"Already a bad influence," he teased, watching as Francis shot him a dirty look out of the corner of his eye.

"This coming from the dark magic expert himself?" he asked. "Don't you think it's irresponsible to teach children how to do dark magic?"

"Well, yes, but I'd be more comfortable teaching them how to do it safely myself than anyone else. That's why she offered me the job." Francis rolled his eyes, grumbling under his breath as he continued typing. Henrik reached over to pinch his cheek, then laughed when Francis grumbled again and moved his face away. "Don't pout. I'm sure she'll find a job for you, baby."