CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
THE SERRATURA

"Someday, I hope you'll let me show you what real love is."

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     The silence that followed Tristan's threat was tense and uncomfortable. Henrik was acutely aware of Francis behind him, aware that he was barely breathing, barely moving, his body tense. He was fully prepared to disappear if anyone in that room made a move toward him. Without thinking, Henrik reached behind him, locking his hand around Francis's wrist. Henrik knew that if Francis ran—even if he had a good reason to, since his family was far from reasonable—they would see it as a sign of guilt. Unfortunately, the only movement in the otherwise still room gained Elijah's attention. His eyes rested on Henrik before they shifted over his shoulder. Immediately, Elijah's face hardened, his jaw clenching. Henrik tightened his grip around Francis's wrist when he felt Francis start to lean away from him, trying to tell him to stay where he was, silently asking Francis to trust him.

"And just what are you still doing here?" Elijah demanded. Francis went still again, and Henrik heard him give a small, indignant huff. Henrik squeezed his wrist in warning.

"Elijah," Henrik warned, frowning when Elijah continued to stare Francis down. He had no doubt in his mind that Francis wasn't looking away from Elijah, was meeting his gaze with as much arrogance as possible. It was just the way Francis was.

"You've always kept remarkable company, Henrik," Elijah said dryly, making Henrik scowl. He had about a million responses floating through his head to that, but he decided to swallow all of them. Lashing out at Elijah wouldn't do anyone any good.

"Don't talk to me like that," was what he decided to say instead. Elijah finally glanced away from Francis, probably just then realizing what he had said to Henrik. He opened his mouth, looking regretful, but Henrik hurried on. "We'll get Hayley back, Elijah, but don't talk to me like that. You're not Nik. Don't act like him." Elijah closed his mouth. He still looked regretful, and even a bit ashamed. Henrik would be the first to admit that Elijah was judgmental—truth be told, his entire family was, including himself—but Elijah usually kept his words to himself. Elijah was the first person Henrik had admitted his feelings for Francis to, so it hurt to know that Elijah was also the first one to voice something negative about it, despite the dire circumstances.

"I didn't have anything to do with this," Francis said suddenly, breaking the solemn silence. He tugged at his arm and Henrik let go of his wrist. Francis stepped around Henrik and stopped so that they were standing side by side. "I already told Henrik. The Strix stopped telling me their plans until the last possible second months ago." Elijah still looked doubtful, and Francis heaved an exasperated sigh. "If I had a hand in any of this, do you honestly believe I'd still be here? That I'd risk his wrath?" No one had to ask who Francis was referring to; he had tilted his head in Henrik's direction. Henrik was pleasantly surprised. Usually people feared his family's wrath long before they feared his own. "I've only seen a fraction of what he can do, but it was more than enough. If you think I'm that stupid, then you vastly underestimate my intelligence and my sense of self-preservation. And I can assure you, I have plenty of both."

Freya was the first to move after Francis's words. She shifted and tilted her head, looking at Francis thoughtfully. A moment later, she met Henrik's gaze. She looked impressed, approving. She even managed a small smile despite the situation. Henrik wasn't used to such support, especially not so quickly, so he could do nothing but stare as Elijah seemed to think Francis's words over.