CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
A NEW BEGINNING

"When I give, I give myself."

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     Hayley's safe-house was in the middle of nowhere, far from the road and surrounded by endless trees. Henrik couldn't get a good look at it until the next morning. It was two stories, not counting the basement and the attic, with more than enough bedrooms for all of them. Hayley clearly chose the house with their family in mind, even stocking it with clothes, suitcases, and very illegal passports. Henrik explored the house while Francis showered, mapping it out in his mind before he joined his siblings out on the wrap-around porch, where they were enjoying breakfast. Rebekah handed him a mimosa the second he stepped out the door. Henrik thought about draining it, but then decided against it.

There was a nervous energy surrounding everyone on the porch. Even Francis had it when he eventually came out to join them, hair ( now black, the blonde dye leaking out over the years ) still damp from the shower. He didn't say anything as he grabbed a mimosa, but he settled so close beside Henrik that their arms brushed. Henrik was relieved by it. Francis had said very little since their run-in with Marcel, either too deep in thought or too deep in memories, but at least he wasn't pulling away physically. It reassured Henrik that the silence wasn't because of him.

"What's the holdup?" Kol demanded, always the first one to break under his own nerves. Henrik held in a sigh and took a sip of his drink. "We rescued Nik, we rescued the handsome vampire, we cured Cami, we escaped mortal danger." Henrik idly wondered if Kol had seen the piece of paper that had appeared in small flames in the living room late last night, detailing that Henrik's spell had worked and Cami was alright. Henrik hadn't mentioned it, wary of mentioning Vincent's name in front of Klaus. He supposed now he didn't have to. "Why are we not on a private jet to Saint-Tropez?"

"You keep calling me handsome," Francis drawled, his first words since he got out of bed that morning. Henrik turned his head to look at him, smiling when he saw that Francis had his head tilted as he looked at Kol. "Are you trying to flatter me?" Kol gave Francis a flat look.

"Charming," he said, unimpressed. "Truly." With that, he reached forward and plucked the newspaper Elijah had been reading out of his hands, folding it as Elijah stayed in the same position just for dramatic effect, hands still raised like he was holding the paper. Henrik hid his amused smile by taking another drink. "You can catch up on the last five years when we're on our way. I can assure you haven't missed much."

"Well, I wouldn't say that," Henrik mused, twirling his mimosa around the glass. A lot of things had changed over the five years. It was 2019, technology had evolved immensely, and the state of the world seemed to be falling to pieces. He didn't mention any of that, though, just flatly said, "That orange fool is president." There was a small huff of amusement from beside him, the slightest nudge of an elbow against his arm, and Henrik smiled into his mimosa again.

"Circumstances have changed," Elijah said, directing the words to the whole family, who seemed to be waiting for him to make the decision, though it seemed to be a subconscious thing. They were all so used to looking at Elijah for answers, even Francis, that they all did it now, even though they all had differing opinions on the subject at hand. "We will leave here soon enough."

"We have our niece to consider," Rebekah added softly, glancing toward the front door of the house. On top of Marcel, they were also anxious about meeting Hope, who was now seven years old and could actually think for herself. It was nerve-wracking.