12. Tie A Noose

*It's a true story of an Urban legend about a young servant girl, who is killed by a violent man.*

Many years ago, there was a young Scottish girl named Anna Dorothea...Who travelled to the U.S. to seek her fortune. She came to work as servant in a large stone-house near the town of Catskill in New York state.

The man who owned the house was mean tempered and violent individual called Williams Salisbury. He had paid her ticket to come to America, soon she began to work for him...she realized what kind of man he was.

He treated her like a slave and told her she wouldn't be paid until she had worked off the cost of her ticket. she was trapped, Salisbury was vicious and brutal, taking pleasure in the suffering of others. he would lost he's temper and look for any stupid reason to beat or abuse Anna.

One day he caught her passing by a closed door and accused her of eavesdropping on a conversation between him and his wife. Despite the young girls protests, he took her outside and whipped her until her entire body was covered in bruises. Salisbury was so cruel to Anna, that she couldn't stand it anymore...she decided to run away.

When Salisbury found out that she was missing, his anger knew no bounds. Cursing and swearing he jumped on his horse and chased her across the countryside.

When Salisbury caught her, he took a cord and tied her hands to the tail of his horse. Then he dragged her all the way back to his house. By the time they reach home, She was DEAD!

Salisbury was arrested, In the court, he claimed that it was all an accident, according to his story, his horse become frightened, throwing him (Salisbury) off, then the horse bolted and dragged the young girl to her death.

In the end jury didn't believe his story and Salisbury was given the death penalty. However, Salisbury was a rich man...he used his money to bribe the judge. his sentence was suspended until was 99 years of age. In the meantime, He was ordered to wear hangman's noose around his neck to remind him of his crime.

Now wherever he went...People would see the hangman's neck around his neck and they started pointing at him...Knowing he was a murderer. He couldn't escape the shame...Salisbury became an outcast and nobody in town would associate with him anymore.

Soon, The ghost of Anna spotted around Salisbury's house...so many people saw it...they got scared and they would try to avoid the way of Salisbury's house. They would walk miles to avoid Salisbury's house.

As the years went by, Salisbury became recluse, never speaking to anyone...spending most of his time alone in his house, They say the ghost of Anna tortured him every night...driving him insane. One day, his body was found hanging from the ceiling of his house. Whether he was driven to suicide by guilt or if he was forced into by the ghost, Nobody knows.

whatever the reason, he had taken his own life with the very noose that he was ordered to wear around his neck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------