0.5

"Tyer?" Ruby looked down at her swinging feet, swinging back and forth under the chair. 

"Yes little one?" Tyler replied, sad that their time was about to be over. Tyler and Ruby were sitting in a police station and were currently waiting for her dad to arrive. As soon as Tyler had filled the little girls belly, he had taken her to the police and they immediately called Josh. 

"Do you know when dada gets here?" She asked curiously as if Tyler knew the answer. 

He squeezed her hand in reassurance. "I'm sure he'll be here any minute." Ruby giggled and looked back down to her feet. Tyler stared at her, taking her appearance in and burning it into his memory. He didn't want to leave the girl, but she had a home and Tyler wasn't her home. He definitely will not forget Ruby. 

"Ruby!" 

Pretty green eyes bounced up at her dad as Josh stopped in his tracks and smiled at the girl. Tyler also was looked up at Josh. He noticed the wetness eyes, but it wasn't sadness, it was joy. Tyler had never got to experience that. 

Ruby was about to get up, but instead she looked over at Tyler and jumped in his lap, giving him bear hug. Tyler was taken back, but he hugged her back and found himself crying. He really didn't want Ruby to leave. 

"Tyer, what's wrong?" Josh was now standing in front of the two, watching this scene unfold. 

Tyler chuckled and wiped his eyes. "Nothing Ruby. I'm just going to miss you. A lot." 

Ruby frowned. "Don' cry, you pomised we would stay frens." 

Tyler squeezed the girl again in a big hug. "Thanks little one. I'll see you around okay?" 

Ruby nodded and crawled out of Tyler's lap. She turned to Josh and jumped into his arms for a grand reunion. "Missed you so much Ruby!" Josh cried as he held his daughter. 

Tyler stood up, picked up his backpack and snuck out of the front doors. He sighed and put his hands in his pockets as he walked down the sidewalk a couple yards and sat against the brick wall. 

Tyler sighed and frowned. Here he was again in the same situation he has been for years. Begging for any kind of cash he could get for food or supplies to survive. He didn't even get so much as a 'thanks' for saving that guys daughter. 

Oh well. Who would? Tyler was just some homeless dude who happened to find a little girl all by herself and take care of her until she returned safely home. Nothing special. 

"Excuse me." 

Tyler was ripped from his thoughts as he looked up and saw Ruby and her dad standing front of him. He quickly hopped to his feet and brushed himself off of any dirt. "Oh, hi." This was the first time he was seeing Ruby's father up close and wow, was he quite attractive. 

"Hey, um Joshua." Josh held hand out for Tyler to shake. 

"Tyler." He responded, shoving his hands back into his grey sweats. 

"Hi Tyer." Tyler cracked a side smile and waved to the girl. 

"Listen, I didn't get to thank you for taking in my daughter so I-"

"Oh, it's okay. Really." 

"No. It's really important. Something could have happened to her and I owe you my life for this, so the least I can do is buy you dinner and drive you home right?" 

Tyler cringed and shrunk a bit. He never really liked talking about his situation, but Josh obviously didn't know. "Actually, I'm kind of not living anywhere right now." 

Josh mentally face palmed himself. "Oh, I'm so sorry." 

"No. It's okay."

"How about this?" Josh slung his arm over Tyler's shoulder and started leading them to his car. "I'll still buy you dinner and you can stay with us for a while until you're back on your feet. How does that sound?" 

Tyler was astonished that this man was willing to do this for him, but he was raised with manners so he couldn't just invade this family's space and who knows how long it will be until Tyler finds a job. "Thanks, but I can't possibly-" 

"Sure you can. Ruby seems to really like you and it's been quite lonely for a while, so it would be nice to have company." 

Tyler frowned. He didn't was to be a bother. "Are you sure? I've been quite fine out here on my own." 

Josh rolled his eyes. "Living on the streets alone is not fine. You should be with people who care about you and I promise, it's not a problem at all." 

"Thank you."

"No problem." Josh put Ruby in her seat and started buckling her in, giving her a forehead kiss when he was done. 

"No really. You have no idea how much this means to me. I've been living a horrible life for years and now here you are, letting a stranger in your house." 

Josh shrugged. "You brought back my daughter. I owe you my life."