1.9

"Are you sure about this?" Josh glanced up at the building ahead through the front window. "I already told you, you don't have to do this." 

Tyler shook his head and sighed. "I know, but I need something to distract myself, I need to do this for myself." He looked down at the pages in his hands and watched them tremble silently. He was nervous. 

"Well, I think they'll love it." Josh put his hand on Tyler's shoulder and reassured him. "It's amazing, they even said they were very interested on the phone."

Tyler closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I just hope I get the job." He chuckled. "I've got to start paying rent." He nudged Josh and laughed. 

"You don't need to do that." Josh looked over at the boy sadly. 

"I don't want your sympathy Josh. I owe you and this is the least I can do." He flashed a smile Josh's way. "I love you." 

The older male raised his head and forced a smile. "I love you too-" 

"I wuv you Tyla!" 

Both head turned toward the back seat where Ruby had sat silently until now. They both laughed. "I love you too Ruby. Are you gonna be good for your dad while I'm gone?" 

The little girl with emerald eyes nodded happily, smiling big. "Where you goin?" 

Tyler gestured to the brick building ahead. "I'm going in there to talk to some grown ups." 

She tilted her head a bit. "Why?" 

"So I can get money." 

"Oh." 

Tyler turned back to the driver. "I'll call when I'm done, ok?" Josh nodded. "Don't worry, I'll be alright." Tyler reassured. He could tell Josh was nervous for him. He leaned over a bit and pecked Josh on the cheek. "I'll see you in a bit." 

Josh nodded and Tyler climbed out of the car. He gave one more look at Josh and Ruby and headed for the glass double doors that read, "Enter." Josh watched him until he disappeared inside. 

If Tyler got the job, it was be his first since.... a lone time ago. 

Tyler had called his parents to tell them the news and the only one who seemed to be excited for him was his little sister, Maddy. His mom tried to pretend to be happy for him, but Tyler saw right through her facade. 

Josh shook his head, as if he was clearing away his thoughts, and turned to his daughter. "Do you want to get ice cream?" Ruby nodded happily. 

xoxo

Tyler looked down at his fingers as he picked nervously at them. He cursed himself for doing so.

"You drew these?" 

Tyler's head instantly shot up and he looked down at the pages in the mans hands ahead. "Um-yeah. I did." 

The man put down the paper and folded his hands on his desk, looking straight into Tyler's eyes. This made the boy anxious. "They're excellent." 

Tyler smiled a bit and nodded. "Th-thank you sir." 

"My writers are currently looking for a professional designer for their new book, but I personally think something like this-" He gestured toward Tyler's pages. "-would be perfect." He paused and looked through the illustration once more. "Well, obviously not these, but more like animals and wacky characters." 

Tyler nodded in agreement. His palms were starting to sweat. 

"How much work experience do you have?" 

There is it. The question Tyler had been praying  he wouldn't ask.

"Well, I'm in kinda a weird situation." The man across the table raised his eyebrows. "The last time I worked was when I was 16. I worked at a Wendy's." 

The man blinked with disbelief. "You've had work experience with this sort of stuff."

Tyler sighed. He knew what was gonna happen. "No sir. I uh-I was actually living on the streets for quite a long time and I've just recently got my life established." Tyler thoughts went to the little apartment with Josh and Ruby. He smiled. "This is the first place I've come for a job." 

The man hummed and leaned back in his chair. "Well," Here it come, Tyler thought. "How soon can I start?" 

Tyler's heart lept as he smiled. "I-I can start whenever!" He was talking fast. He was relieved. 

"Will Monday work for you?" Tyler nodded quickly. "You'll have your own office on the fourth floor, I'll have your assistant show you on Monday-" 

"My assistant?" 

"Yes. She'll take your calls, order you lunch and bring you new work as it comes in. Supplies will be offered here, but of course, you can provide your own." 

It took everything in his body for Tyler not to jump up and scream. "Thank you so much sir, you will not be disappointed." 

"I hope not. We'll call you to give you more information about the job." 

"Thank you sir." 

The man nodded and Tyler was on his way. 

Once outside, Tyler screamed loudly, catching the attention of a few people nearby. He didn't care though, he was happy. He grabbed his new phone a called Josh as fast as you could. 

"Josh! I got the job!"