Simplicity is Gained

Should I write an E flat, F Sharp, or just plain majestic D?
Composing music isn't as easy as I thought it would be, you're surrounded by a variety of notes each with a unique personality. All three of those notes would sound so beautiful for my climax in the piece. I want it to be intense to the point where it moves the audience's hearts, and sends goose bumps all over them. I have so much expectations for this piece, and I know I can make this happen. So I've been told by many of my mentors that I have a brilliant gift. The love I have for music is too strong for this piece to go down in flames. Dreams of Juilliard will come true once the directors notice my creativity.
I play the notes I've written down so far in my head.
Beautiful...
Melodic...
This is definitely one of my best compositions so far.
The end runs through my thoughts. Then it hits me...
Low octave F Sharp!
That's it! Perfect!
Just as I'm about to mark it, my teacher, Mr. Nelson, picks up my pages of music.
"I'm sorry. I thought band class was over for you people! This is history, and it's no time for you to be creating your amateur music now is it, Violet?", he announced in front of everyone.
That is so messed up...
"No sir", I muttered.
"That's what I thought. You can have this back at the end of class", he spoke.
"Okay...whatever", I roll my eyes. I seriously dislike him. He treats us like we're idiots that were born yesterday.
My best friend April turned around facing me. Her mousy hair sways as she flips her hair over her shoulder. "Ugh, he's the worst. Your music isn't amateur. He's just got his head up his ass, and he's totally jealous that you've got talent", she whispers.
"Yeah sure, a teacher jealous of a student? Doubt it. Besides I hate history, so why not make it my time to edit my piece?", I say.
"Well you still have to learn history or you'll fail it, and there's no way in hell I'm gonna let you fail cause then who will I have to talk to?", she asks.
"I guess so, but I'm so close! I can feel it in my toes that this will make my biggest break!", I beamed.
"You're gonna make it gurl. I know you will", she smiled.
I remember why I love this girl. Confident, sassy, hilariously sarcastic, and most of all, down-to-earth.
She knows how to slap some sense into me when I'm being an idiot. She makes me feel...sane.
High school is difficult, but with April and others there to back you up. You're not alone...
The bell rings, and I bolt up to grab my music from Mr. Nelson's desk, and try to book it.
"Not so fast Ms. Yorke, we're not finished", Mr. Nelson snaps.
I sigh in frustration knowing I'll be late to science because this jackass wants to lecture me. April nods letting me know she'll wait.
I turn and glare at him, "here to lecture me about my amateur music? Save it for another time. I have better things to do".
"History is more important than your music. If I find you pulling this stunt again. Your music will be in the trash, understand?", he sneers.
You wouldn't dare....
"Am I failing your class? No! I understand everything, but I just hate this subject. If I was failing then this would be different. You know I'm not failing, yet you still wanna complain? I see all the other students doing whatever they please, but you don't get after them. Why, cause they kiss your ass? Well if that's so, then the principal would love to hear how you favor students", I warn.
He stares at me in shock, speechless
"Didn't think so, now if you'll excuse me. I'm late for my class". I walk out of the room annoyed. April follows behind me not saying a word.

* * *
"So he didn't say anything at all?? You just walked out??" My boyfriend Oliver exclaimed.
"Yes", I laugh.
"So not only my girlfriend is talented in music, but she's low key a badass", he smirks at me with that cute grin.
I lean my head against his shoulder planting a small kiss on his neck.
"Awwwww" everyone at our lunch table admires.
"Y'all are so adorable", April teases.
I roll my eyes playfully.
"Yeah. Next stop, marriage", Oliver's best friend, Kayden, raises his eyebrows.
"Wow. Just wow", Oliver says.
I look at everyone at my table. April is sitting across from us doing her own thing.
On her right, is Kayden, who has coconut brown hair, tan skin, and brown eyes. He's the most geeky kid I've ever met.
On April's left, is our friend Lealle. She is the most fashionable one of our group. With her emerald green eyes, slick black hair and soft baby pink lips. She's almost every guys dream girl. The best thing is that she may have movie star looks, but she's very humble and sweet.
On my right, here sits Jonah. The arrogant one, and a pain in my rear end, but you gotta love him. He's very funny and sweet when he can be. His confident smile is a killer for girls along with his luscious golden nest of hair.
Then there's Oliver...sighs
I swoon at the thought and sound of his name. Just looking at him locks me in a haze. His beautiful brown eyes that shine so bright, along with his black wavy hair that's fluffy to the touch. What I love about him the most is that he's so thoughtful and caring. You don't find that in high school that much anymore. Just one little thing he does makes my darkest skies become vibrant with the sun. He reminds me of the ocean. So calm, so quiet...I feel alive around him just like I feel when I play music...
Jonah cracks one of his infamous jokes and we all bust out laughing. Making other kids look at us. It may be just the six of us, but that's all we really need. We've stuck together throughout everything. We laugh, we joke, we mess around like typical teenagers. The one thing we all have in common...We are in band. Yeah. That's right.
We are Band Geeks, and we are cool, but not popular. Neither one of us give a damn about popularity, and that's what I like about them.
They're like a family to me...a family that I never really had.