A New Orchestra

* * *

"Watch! This is why everyone is all over the place on this music. WATCH!", Mr. Ramsey yelled.
Someone's not in a good mood. Great...
"Again. Start two measures before 39."
Everyone groans at the fact we kept playing this over and over again for the past 20 minutes. As we play, I listen for all the parts in the Mighty Owl Band. The brass had a powerful punch of each note. The woodwinds were dainty, yet we gave off the melodies and harmonies in style. Woodwinds and brass always have a "rivalry" against each other, however the most couples in band were a brass and a woodwind player. Kind of like a modern day band version of Romeo and Juliet.
As we finally finish our movement with such perfection and an ending that sends chills down your spine, Mr. Ramsey let's us relax for a while. I scan the room looking for one of my friends. A pair of brown eyes were staring at me. We lock eyes for a while. Everything was blurred except for Oliver, like if we were the only ones in the band hall. I lost myself in those alluring eyes of his, he smiles awkwardly.
He's so cute when he does that.
I couldn't understand why he chose me out of all girls in our high school. Sometimes I feel like he deserves so much better than me.
A message pops up on my phone...

Oliver:
I missed you last night ;) Wanna hang at my place tonight?

I glance at him while answering his message.

Me:
You bet. I'll ride with you after school once we're done practicing in the band hall :)

He winks at me and then grins.
Sudden anxiety swallowed me; I still have to talk to him about what has been going on.

The room gets quiet. Mr. Ramsey has a gigantic stack of music sheets in his hands, "Alright guys, it's time that I finally address the rumors about a band that will be formed. Its true, there is going to be a new band in a few weeks. Instead of having two bands, there are now three. Unfortunately I am not the band director. A new professional director is working with the band. It will consist of a very small amount of students. You may try out, but not everyone will make it, only the best of the best. They only need one person out of each section. Seems like a tiny band, but you will be entered into many competitions as a band and as soloists. Lots of music scholarship opportunities. Auditions will be held next Friday and performed live. Music sheets will be on the table in the back, you may pick it up as you leave. Class is dismissed. Have a great weekend".

A new band? New director? A professional band director conducting a new band... Only one person out of each section. Scholarship opportunities. Solo competitions. This band is everything I've dreamed of. I must audition. I have to try.
Very few students dared to grab an audition sheet, including me. Just as I reached for sheet music, a manicured, heavily jeweled hand slapped down on mine.
"And what do you think you're doing?", the pitchy annoying voice of Summer Hanes said aloud.
My eyes meet her patchy eye makeup that wasn't even blended correctly. I was more triggered by the rest of her glam makeup. There is beautifully done makeup by artists like James Charles, and then there's Summer Hanes embarrassing makeup looks that if Jeffree Star were to see her, he'd make an hour long video of everything she did wrong. I would gladly watch that video, and give it a thumbs up. She's your typical high school mean girl. I always say she is a Regina George wannabe.
"Take a picture sweetheart, it'll last longer", she scoffs.
"Oh I'm sorry, I couldn't help but stare at the HIDEOUS makeup you applied. What's today's look? The Wicked Bitch of the West?", I laughed.
She sneered, "Awww, jealous much?"
"Jealous not", I sass.
"Oh please, we both know you're trying to beat me, as if, I'm totally better than you in band, and everyone knows it", she taunts.
"Bitch please, keep dreaming that you have an audience. The only reason you have an audience now is because of your ridiculously stupid fashion sense, and they just laugh their asses off".
Her icy blue eyes bore into mine; she leans closer towards me.
"Watch your mouth, Yorke, or you'll be sorry".
She snatches the audition paper from my hand and sashays off in her 5 inch heels.
I roll my eyes grabbing a music sheet. My stomach lurched as I quickly read over the notes. This may be one of the most challenging pieces I've ever played. All different kinds of notes, tempos, key changes, and expressions scattered along this piece. Whoever composed this, must have been feeling all kinds of emotion. I sensed tragic, hope, anger, and confusion. There's a story behind this piece, a very alluring and intriguing story.
As they always say...
Where words fail, music speaks.
As I look up at a portrait of my mentor, Mr. Thompson, that hangs in the band hall in memory of his death, I whisper triumphantly, "Challenge accepted".
I smile to myself.

The bell rings for lunch.
Oliver comes from behind wrapping his arms around my waist.
"I know you miss him", he whispers in my ear.
"Yeah, I miss him a lot".
He turns me around to face him.
"Hey, he would be so proud of how you've grown with your music, you have a beautiful talent, Violet", he softly kisses me.
"He may be proud of me, but I am not going to rest until try out for this new band. Then I will be proud", I giggle.
"Then we should stay in the band hall and practice", he smirks.
"Tempting... But I need to talk to you and April".
The mood shifts in the atmosphere.
My heart races...
I'm afraid to tell them...
I can't tell them, it's best I keep it in the dark.
My mind flashes back to a memory of when it was my very first solo performance. The moment was vivid, as if I was reliving my experience. I stood by the curtain waiting to be announced. My knees uncontrollably quaking.
A younger Mr. Thompson walks up to me.
"You nervous, Vi?"
I silently nod my head avoiding his intimidating gaze.
"Hey, look at me. They're going to love you. After all, I am your mentor", he laughs.
My 10 year old self giggles.
"There's that smile...Just relax and feel the music. Lose yourself in the rhythm. Your heart is the melody; play your heart out, and remember one thing. Fear has two meanings: Forget everything and run, or Face everything and rise. The choice is yours".
Needless to say, that night was the most awakening of my life. Music had never been so rich in beauty. The crowds were astonished. Many were tearing up. My parents were in the background smiling with proudness. I let go of everything that moment.
That night was perfect.
Mr. Thompson smiled nodding his head in approval.
I look into Oliver's eyes remembering the very last sentence Mr. Thompson said that night. I have to tell them. I cannot be scared.
I will face everything and rise.