• 10 •

T E N

The next day

[ A L E X A ]

Being in Alexandria was weird. It was even more weird when I was being stared down by everyone as I walked through the gates.

"Rick! I missed ya!" Dad put on his asshole voice. My eyes looked around, not seeing the face I wanted to.

"What do you have for good 'ol me today?!" Dad rubbed his hands together.

"Food. Furniture." Rick glared into my dad's eyes. I just kept alert. I haven't been myself lately. I felt empty.

More empty than I did before.
"Dad, if you don't mind, I'm going to walk around." I told him. He just nodded and turned his attention back onto Rick.

As I walked away I felt eyes following me. Especially michonnes. I tried my best to ignore and continued my walk.

I walked along a sidewalk, looking at my feet. I could shake why I was feeling the way I was.

Why I was feeling so... like nothing. I couldn't describe it.

I just wanted everything back to normal.

But if everything was normal, you would never have met Carl.

Maybe it was better off that way. He wouldn't be so hurt. So damaged.

In a world that was normal, Carl would be happy. He would not be in pain. He would have his family back.

I would have my family back.

I would not be a killer.

But all of my thoughts were ripped from my mind when I saw the house I temporarily lived in last month.

I breathed in, climbing up the tree that was next to the house. I struggled a bit and balanced myself on a branch that lead close to Carl's window...

That was a leap of faith I was willing to take. I could see him from where I was and I picked a few acorns off the branch, throwing acorns at the window.

Since the branch was lower, I didn't expect him to see me at first, but when he did, his eye widened. I smiled and tight rope walked to the edge of the branch, preparing myself for this jump.

I took a deep breath in and jumped as high as I could, my hands barely catching onto the window sill. I used all my strength to pull me up, and there Carl was, standing in the room, after he opened the window.

He put his hands out, letting me take hold of them, helping me climb in. Once I got in, I breathed out heavily and Carl pushed me to the wall.

"Never thought I'd see you in this house again." His brows furrowed slightly. I smiled lightly at his presence.

"Surprise." I whispered.

"Surprise." He repeated with a smirk.

"I was hoping you'd come, anyway." His eye scanned my face.