•16•

S I X T E E N

The next day

A L E X A

It was quiet around Alexandria. I felt weird and out of place. I was back in Carl's room, just like I was before.

I felt like none of the shit that went down between us actually went down. That maybe it was just a dream.

Carl didn't seem to think the situation now was real. He kept to my side, not letting me go. He slept with his arms wrapped tightly around me like if he somehow misplaced his arms, I would slip away.

He was just happy I was here. However, he was sleeping and I had been up for awhile.

I managed to slip my way out of his grasp a few minutes ago and sneak into the hallway. I took a deep breath in, rubbing my eyes and slowly trudging down the stairs.

I went into the living room, seeing rick in there. Once he heard my footsteps, he peered back at me.

"Hi." I whispered.
"Hey kid." He greeted back.

"My people still asleep?" I folded my arms uncomfortably.

"No, just your dad. The rest are out, helping make plans." Rick shook his head.

After a few moments of silence, I spoke up again.

"Rick, I'm really sorry about everything I did to you and your people-"
"Alexa, it's fine, it was the past." He cut me off.

"I don't think you understand me, rick. I don't ever have remorse. I never feel bad. I'm always excited to pick who gets it. Sometimes I even do it... but you guys... it was so much different. When I met Carl I knew exactly who he was and where he came from. He just thought I was by myself in the woods. I made him believe that so I could kill him... but he grew on me. Slowly and slowly you all began to grow on me and the day it was happening- I felt regret. So much regret. I wasn't excited or hyper. I truly care about you and your people... but I would never turn on my father. I love who I am and what I've done to be who I am... I'm my dad. I really am just like him... but I care about others. I saw who you all were. You're good people." I explained myself.

"You did exactly what we would have done, which is why we were so angry. We couldn't face the fact that you outsmarted us. Your strategy was better than ours. You and your father are stronger and smarter than most of us combined. That's why we need you here." He was oddly understanding.

He sighed deeply, rubbing his forehead.
"You make my boy happy. That's all I want is for him to be safe and happy. He's a smart kid, but he's a total idiot for you... so you're okay in my book, sweetie." His bandaged hand patted my shoulder.

That was something I'd never thought I'd hear. My heart fluttered and a small smile played across my lips.

"I've always liked you, rick. You were a challenge. We like challenges."

"Hey, guys." A tired Carl mumbled as he walked behind me.

"Hi Carl." I smiled. I felt his body behind me, his arms snaking to my stomach, hugging me tightly.

He kissed the side of my head, making me feel warm. Rick watched this with a tiny smile.

"What's everyone talking about?" Dad stepped into the living room.
"Hi dad." I grinned.