• 21 •

Incredibly proud of this chapter. This might be one of the last uploads I still haven't decided /:

T W E N T Y O N E

continuum.

A L E X A

Dad's arms grew weaker and weaker around me by the minute. I pulled away from his shoulder, my eyes puffy and hard to see out of considering the tears that were coming out without hesitation.

I sniffled, seeing dad's face more sweaty and more pale. He was dying.

"I- love you." I took in sharp breaths, holding onto him like my life depended on it.

"I... love... you... too." His eyelids were drooping over his beautiful brown eyes. He was just getting even weaker.

I sat next to him, my hands holding his tightly.

"Don't go." I whispered, tiring myself out. I closed my eyes, setting my forehead against the side of his head.

Tears still seemed to fall out of my eyes, even though they were closed. It was silent. All you could hear were my weeps.

"My little princess... I always... knew... you'd... become... a leader... I'm... so... proud." His voice grew raspy.

"You're... so... strong... a better... person... than I... ever... was."

"You... and Carl... did... so... good." He turned his head towards me, making me look at him. My eyes opened and I just cried more.

"You p-promised I wouldn't lose you." I hiccuped.
"How- how am I supposed to do this without you?" I asked, my warm tears just flowing.

"You... can... do... it... let... Carl... be... your... savior." Dad mumbled almost inaudible.

"This can't- this can't be happening- no no no! You can't die, dad! Please please!" I wailed, holding his cheeks.

I couldn't even feel my burns anymore. I could only feel the torture right now.

The pain of the losing the one person that I never thought I would lose.

"I... love... you... Alexa... don't... forget... to keep... fighting."

I noticed his eyes close and his hands fall limp in mine. I looked down at them and back at his face.

"N-no... Dad, please w-wake up!" This couldn't be happening. I lost him.

I lost my father.

Once I heard his breathing stop and his body release from the tensing he was doing, I knew it was over.

I was trembling.

I stared at his face, my silent tears rushing out as fast as they could.

My hands were removed from his, only to lift them and put them on his cheeks.

"No!" I screamed, my silent tears turning into wails.

I had completely forgot about the drifters in this moment. I forgot what they were trying to do and I didn't care how loud I was being.

I was suffering. My body ached but my heart felt nothing but pure agony.

"P-please wake up!" I turned his face to me. I knew it wasn't possible.

I knew what I had to do, but I didn't want to.

My shaky hand slowly grabbed my knife, trying to hold it still, but my body wasn't allowing that.