Our Last First Day

The limo dropped us off at the school. It was already lunch time. "Oh, I hope the teachers aren't mad or anything!" Lexi exclaimed.

"I wonder if Mr. Crimson told Principal Princeton about us not going to school anymore," Sandra said.

I sighed.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything that Style Squad has given us, but to be honest? I'm a little nervous about the future. And what my parents would say when I told them what was happening to my education.

We walked inside the school and turned down a hall. In the distance was the buzz of conversation coming from the cafeteria. Then we froze.

Principal Princeton was standing in front of the cafeteria door.

"We don't have late slips!" I whispered.

"We're doomed," Vera groaned a little too loudly.

Principal Princeton looked our way, her red hair swinging around in a messy ponytail. "Girls!"

"Hi, Principal Princeton," we said in unison, looking at the ground.

"I hear you won't be joining us anymore." She walked over to us. She didn't seem angry at all.

Lexi nodded. "We're sorry, Principal Princeton! We don't have late slips."

Principal Princeton laughed. "Aw, you girls don't need them, now that you're all famous and everything."

She led us into the cafeteria.

***

As soon as the cafeteria doors opened, the room fell silent. Principal Princeton was handed a microphone as Vera, Sandra, Lexi, and I stepped to the side.

"Middle schoolers, I am here to make a very important announcement." The room erupted in whispers. I was able to catch a few of them:

"I wonder why Style Squad had to leave!"

"OMG, they're not closing their store, right?"

"Ah, I wish I was as pretty as them!"

"I love their store!"

Etc, etc.

I looked around the room. And then I saw Hannah Crimson, her minions, and Damian. Hannah was giving me the evil eye. When she saw me looking over, she grabbed Damian's hand and pulled him closer. Mia, Laura, and Kate laughed. Damian blushed, but then looked over at me with a blank expression. And Hannah smirked. Her eyes seemed to say, "You're going down, Loser Lopez." I shivered and looked at Principal Princeton.

"As you all know, this past May, we gave out a prize during the 7th Grade Business Fair that will never be given out again: the opportunity to watch your business become a reality by opening it in the mall and have it run by professionals! And, a bonus of 4,000 dollars. These four ladies here won that prize with Style Squad, a store most of you may have seen in the Dolphin Mall! Elisa Lopez, Sandra Sawdon, Lexi Mezen, and Vera Jones!"  

The kids in the cafeteria started clapping. I blushed. I saw Hannah roll her eyes and whisper something to a smiling Damian. His happy demeanor quickly turned to a face of disgust.

What did that snake say to him?!

"However, Style Squad has become an extremely large business. I'm sure you've seen it on the news. Style Squad stores have expanded all across Florida. Vera, Sandra, Lexi, and Elisa left before school even started today because they received some incredible news: Style Squad is expanding across the country!"

Everybody gasped. Lexi nudged me. "Look at Hannah," she whispered.

Hannah had stood up out of her seat, fists clenched. Her face had a look of pure anger on it. "NO!!!" she screamed.

"I'm sorry, Ms Crimson?" said Principal Princeton.

Hannah ran across the cafeteria, her designer sandals slapping against the linoleum floor. She yanked the mic from the principal's hand. Spinning around, she faced the cafeteria. Kate, Mia, and Laura were out of their seats, cheering. Damian was confused.

"No no NO!" Hannah screamed. "Style Squad is not opening more stores!" she faced us, her green eyes full of evil. "There is no way that you're becoming richer than me, Loser Lopez!"

Principal Princeton was trying to get the mic out of Hannah's hands. However, the principal ended up with a punch in the face.

"You're so naive! Did you know your friends, your best friends, are hiding a humongous secret from you?"

Before she could say anything else, security guards came and wrestled Hannah away from us. Principal Princeton got hold of the microphone once again. She was holding an ice pack to her eye. "As I was saying, due to the opening of more Style Squad stores, our beloved Style Squad girls will no longer be joining us here at school. So let's give them our warmest congratulations and goodbyes as they go off to glory! Thirteen year old entrepreneurs. Think of that!"

***

"That was... interesting," Vera mumbled as we left the cafeteria.

I was still trying to process everything Hannah said. "Hey guys, Hannah said something about a secret you guys are hiding from me. What happened?" I tried to be as calm as possible.

Sandra looked straight ahead. "Elisa, this is Hannah Crimson we're talking about! She just lied to you."

"Yeah, you have nothing to worry about!" Lexi added.

I have nothing to worry about. Nothing!

So why was I so suspicious?