Anonymous Texter

I wake up on Monday morning, a week after our last first day of school. My parents didn't take the news well, but they understood. Yesterday, Sonja called with news.

"Hey, boo! It's Sonja Sontin, your new manager! You didn't forget about me, did you?" She chirped.

I rolled my eyes. "Hey, Sonja."

"So, let's break it down. I've already called Lexi, Sandra, and Vera. Now it's your turn for the big news!"

"What kind of news?" This woman makes my stomach churn. I'm not so excited about this "news".

"I, your wonderful manager, got you girls an interview with Fashion Forward magazine!"

Wait, what?!

Fashion Forward magazine is the biggest magazine in the fashion world. It's almost impossible to score an interview. It has everything from makeup tips to facts about celebrities. And, the whole magazine is "hosted" my the biggest celeb ever: Marcella Diamond!

Marcella Rodriguez got her start by modeling as a toddler for a diaper commercial. Once she started getting famous, she started going by "Marcella Diamond". Since then, she's modeled for everything else. She's been in a few movies, recorded two music albums, All That Glitters and Twinkle, Twinkle. She even managed to write a book in her free time, A Girl's Best Friend: The Marcella Diamond Story.

"No way!" I exclaimed.

"Yes way!"

"Thank you so much, Sonja!" I almost shouted into the phone.

"Anytime, doll!" she responded, hanging up.

Maybe I was wrong. Sonja might (might!) be a good manager after all!

***

My parents dropped me off at Vera's house. Lexi and Sandra were coming over later. I practically ran past Vera's little sister, Via. "Elisa!" she called.

"Hey, Via!" I double back and give Via a quick hug. Then I ran to Vera's room. "Hey, Vera!"

Vera was sitting in her hanging chair, reading something on her laptop. "Hey, Elisa!" She said, gesturing to the bed for me to sit.

"Did Sonja tell you the news?" Vera asked, closing her laptop and putting it on her nightstand.

"Actually, yes! We're being interviewed for Fashion Forward magazine!" I exclaim, falling back on Vera's blue comforter.

"Did she elaborate at all, Elisa? There's more than that!" Vera said.

"What?" I sat up. "All she told me was that we were being interviewed."

"Yeah! We're being interviewed by Marcella Diamond, getting a three page feature in the magazine, and we're gonna be on the cover of the September issue of the magazine!" Vera cheered.

What?!

"Marcella Diamond? The Marcella Diamond?!" I squealed.

Vera nodded, her caramel eyes bright and excited.

"OMG! We better not mess this up!" I said.

Via came running into the room. "Vera, Lexi and Sandra are here!" she said.

"Coming guys!" Vera jumped out of the hanging chair and ran down the hall to open the door.

That's when my phone buzzed in my purse. I took it out. An unknown number. A little birdie told me you're gonna be on the cover of FFM! 🤗

Who are you? I responded.

Call me Anonymous Texter!

What on earth?! Whoever this creep was, he definitely liked me.

Tell me who you are! Are you the one who drew the heart in the sand a few months ago? I typed. My hands were shaking as I pressed "send".

Person is typing...

Person is typing...

Person is typing...

Depends. Did you like it?

I blushed. "Who are you?" I asked myself as I typed.

Yeah. I loved it. 😊

Good. I really like you, Elisa...

I gasped. He confessed!

What do you mean by "Elisa..."? I responded.

Anonymous Texter didn't type for a second.

I'm dating someone. And she'd kill me if she knew I actually liked you. I'm not gonna tell you who my girlfriend is, because then you'd know who I was. I want to stay anonymous for a while. Truth is, I've liked you for years. I just always thought you were too good for me.

Oh.

Oh!

I sighed and texted back. I wish I knew who you were, Anonymous Texter. Then maybe I'd like you back.

I held my breath as he texted back.

You'll find out in due time, Elisa. 😘

He didn't text back.

***

"Hey, Elisa!" Lexi said as she, Sandra, and Vera walked back into Vera's room. I was still sitting on the bed, staring at my phone. I wanted more texts from Anonymous Texter.

"Hi," I said blankly, scrolling through Anonymous's messages.

"Elisa?" Sandra said. "You okay?"

I blushed. "Remember the heart in the sand?" She nodded. "The person who did that is texting me again."

Vera gasped. But it wasn't a happy gasp. It was a worried gasp. "Elisa, did he reveal his identity?"

I shook my head. "He said, 'call me Anonymous Texter'."

"You don't know who this creep is, Elisa! He could be a stalker or something! He could try to kidnap you! We'll never see you again if that happens!" Lexi exclaimed, sitting next to me on Vera's bed.

Oh.

Oh!

I rubbed my forehead. "Oh, gosh. I didn't realize! Sorry guys. I won't text him again."

"We just want to keep each other safe," Vera said, smiling.