Birthday Girl

"Where. Were. You?!"

I was sitting on the sofa in my parents' room. My mom had her phone out, showing me her messages and calls. My dad was sitting across from me, arms crossed.

"Elisa Lopez, if you don't tell me the truth, we are leaving this resort!" Mami looks at me, eyes ablaze.

I cross my arms and bite my lip. I look at the lamp next to me. "That's a pretty lamp."

"Don't sass me! You're not in a movie!" Mami shrieks. "I was worried sick, your friends didn't know where you were, we even called the lobby! They said they hadn't seen you! I should've never let you go down there! Who were you with?!"

I bit my tongue, tears rising in my eyes. "I was with... a girl named Leah."

Lies lies lies!!!

"Okay, why?" My dad said, trying to be calm.

"She's a fan. And, um, I wanted to get to know her. I didn't take a photo or sign an autograph or anything, we just sat and talked! I lost track of time."

My mother seemed skeptical. Why wouldn't she be? I usually don't lie about something this big. I just had my first kiss!

Oh.

Oh!

I just had my first kiss!

With someone other than Damian.

I forgot about him. When I was with Liam, I forgot about my crush since first grade.

"What was Leah's last name?" My dad asked. He had his phone up. I guess he was going to look 'her' up on Instagram.

"Um, I didn't catch that?"

"Is that a question?"

My heart pounded. "Uh, no."

My mother rolled her eyes. "Just go back to your room."

***

"Are you okay, E? You look stressed," Lexi said as I was getting my pajamas out of my suitcase.

"I just lied to my parents. I'm a liar!"

"Wait, what?!" Vera looked up from her phone and stared at me.

I sat on my bed and sighed. "I had my first kiss," I said as calmly as possible.

First kiss. What a magical phrase. So good, yet so... weird. My heart leaped when I remembered the kiss. Kisses, actually.

More than one kiss.

It's plural.

My friends stared at me with blank expressions. And suddenly, I was crushed in a group hug.

"Eliiiiiisa!" Sandra squealed.

"Girl, why the heck didn't you tell your parents?!" Vera asked.

"I'll explain when you let me breathe!" I gasped.

The girls let me go. I sighed again.

And I explained everything that happened.

"Okay, I still don't understand why you didn't tell your mom!" Lexi exclaimed. She crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow.

"Because my dad would kill me! I'm his only daughter!"

My dad can be very overprotective of me. I know it's because he cares about me, but still!

He got angry once when I was in sixth grade because some boy (who I was totally not into, mind you) tried to get my number at a school picnic. He made me stay with Lexi, Vera, and Sandra for the rest of the time.

"Wait, lemme rephrase that. He would kill Liam for making a move!" I exclaimed, burying my face in my hands.

"At least he likes you! And this place is less than half an hour away from where we live. You could make this work!" Vera said.

And I broke down in tears.

"Elisa..." Sandra cooed, rubbing my back.

"I just, I just have s-so much anxiety about S-Style Squad and everything! My world has been turned upside down!" I sobbed.

"It'll be okay, E." Lexi stood up and got a glass of water for me. I took a sip.

"I think I'm going to take my shower now," I said, exhaling.

"Then take that shower. We'll leave you be," Vera said, running her fingers through her hair. The three of them left the room.

I went into the bathroom and ran the shower. I went in and let the water fall over me.

I was just thinking about my day. I recalled everything. Autographs, paparazzi, kiss.

It seemed like the water had washed away my guilt. The guilt I had about lying to my parents. The guilt I had about abandoning Liam. The guilt I had about everything.

I climbed into bed refreshed. Tomorrow will totally be a better day.

My birthday.