Chapter Two

Near to You

02

-

Are you hiding from me somewhere in the crowd?

Where Have You Been - Rihanna

-

            “Finally! I thought you were dead!”

            “It’s nice to hear from you too, Julia,” I replied wryly into my Blackberry as I waltzed down the street, avoiding the passersby. It had been just over a month since I arrived now, and I was getting more familiarized with the city. Classes had started and I was already swamped by the workload, but I still made time to explore, and often found myself back at the coffee shop I first went to, wasting away the hours finishing those ridiculous assignments.

            “Don’t give me that tone, Michelle,” Julia said and I pursed my lips. The woman acted like the overbearing mother I never had, nor wanted.

            “Sorry,” I muttered. “What’s going on?”

            “You’ve been missing for weeks! That’s what’s going on!”

            “I haven’t been missing.” I rolled my eyes. “I’ve been in school. It was the only reason I agreed to come here in the first place, remember?”

            “Yes, unfortunately.” I stifled the urge to roll my eyes again at the bitterness tingeing her tone. She wasn’t the one that had to up and leave for a different continent, and all for what? “I’ve been trying to reach you about the film. The premiere is in a few weeks. You are aware of this, correct?”

            “Yes, unfortunately,” I echoed and I almost felt her frustration intensify through the phone. “What about it?”

            “You need to be there.”

            “I know. Have you called the others?”

            “I’m not so certain it’s a good idea.”

            “I asked for two things Julia, two. I wanted to stay in school and I wanted to bring some friends.”

            “Fine.” Julia took a deep breath and I stopped mid-stride. That didn’t sound good.

            “Julia…” I trailed off. “What is it?”

            “It’s about the penmanship.”

            “Ju-li-a,” I groaned. “Haven’t we already discussed this?”

            “They want to know who M. K. Lewis is, Michelle,” Julia tried to reason with me. “I think it’s time.”

            “You and I both know no one will take me seriously when they find out I’m a twenty year old university student.”

            “It’s not me, Michelle. It’s the editor. You know Jude’s a bastard. He said he won’t sign on to any more books until you’ve come out.”

            “Then I won’t write anymore,” I fibbed.

            “Behind Closed Doors says otherwise.”

            I cursed underneath my breath. “Why is he doing this to me?”

            “You’ll be the most successful young author of this decade.”