Chapter Seventeen

Near to You

-

17

-

Tonight we are young. Let’s set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun.

Tonight we are Young – Fun

-

            “Hurry up!”

            I laughed as my three friends struggled to keep up behind me with bleary eyes. We had just gotten off of the plane and needed to head straight back to the hotel where we would be staying that weekend. I couldn’t fit them all in my tiny dorm room and agreed to splurge just a little so that I could spend the proper final weekend with them.

            The premiere began in five hours and we needed to get ready. Jules had wanted us to go down to a hair salon to get the works, but I had not seen the point. I finally conceded to a stylist who would visit us, though, because I did not want to completely look like a potato, although with all the other celebrities that would be present, not looking horrid in comparison was practically impossible.

            “You slow down,” Caroline grumbled, pulling the strap of her knapsack further up on her shoulder. There was a car waiting for us once we were outside the terminal and I mentally reminded myself to thank Jules once I was on my way to the premiere, calm and collected, and not with a thudding heart that wanted to escape from my chest.

            The driver helped us with our bags before we slid into the dark interior of the car. The ride to the hotel was fairly short, which I was thankful for, because it was slightly cramped and everyone was not in the best mood because we were all still bedraggled from the flight.

            We separated to our various rooms for a quick shower and I was thankful for a few moments to myself. This would probably be the final time I’d be able to say that I was just Michelle. In a few hours I would be in magazines and newspapers, and even on the internet. I wouldn’t have any time to myself, I’d always be thinking about the next book.

            I turned on the hot water and removed the clothes that felt disgusting after wearing them for such a long flight. I washed my hair but did not bother to blow dry it once I was finished. I would leave that to the stylist, she would hopefully know what to do with the curly mess on top of my head.

            Putting on some undergarments I decided to wait for the other girls to make their way to my room as we had discussed. I wrapped the towel back around me and sat on the edge of my bed, flicking through the channels trying to find something to watch. My cell phone began to ring in my purse and I quickly grabbed it, thinking it was Jules.

            “Zayn!” I answered, surprised, after reading the caller ID.

            “I take it you’re back in London now.”

            “Yeah,” I replied, smiling and settling back into my seat. “How are you?”

            “I’m good, getting ready for this movie thing.” He did not sound too enthused. “What about you? Jetlagged?”

            “I just had a shower so I feel better.”

            “That’s good.” He hesitated for a moment. “Listen. I really want to see you. I was wondering if maybe you’d want to come to this thing with me. It’s going to be really boring and I think it’d be better with you there.”