Chapter Fourteen

Near to You

14

-

When the time comes baby don’t run. Just kiss me slowly.

Kiss Me Slowly – Parachute

-

            It had started to snow since we arrived five days ago, so Zayn and I had been confined to the bungalow mostly, unless either of us were brave enough to face the weather only to come back completely drenched moments later.

            I sat on a ledge, forehead placed against the window pane as I stared out into the driveway where the black jeep we had driven up was parked. The scenery was as dull and dreary as the weather but perched here I felt as if I were at least doing something, rather than sitting on the couch in front of the dwindling fire re-reading the only book I had thought to bring: my notebook.

            I thought that I would have gotten some writing done, being in such a confined space for a prolonged period, but somehow, even this early on in the story, I was at a loss for words about what to say next. I was blocked and it infuriated me even more than being trapped inside.

            “What are you doing?” Zayn had entered the room without me noticing and I glanced back at him quickly before peering out the window once more.

            “Wishing it weren’t snowing,” I admitted. I had always hated the snow. It was cold, and wet, and the clouds always kept away the sun. During the winter I always wished for it to be summer again.

            “Doesn’t it snow a lot where you’re from?” He questioned, perching on the edge of the couch.

            “I don’t like it though.” I rolled my eyes. People always assumed that because I was Canadian I preferred the cold weather. Honestly, I would have preferred the year to be eternally sunny.

            “I think it’s quite pretty.” He peaked out the window over my shoulder. “It makes everything seem so much quieter, as if we are the only two people left in the world.”

            “It’s too quiet,” I said.

            “You complain a lot.” He sent a small smile my way and I blushed, ducking my head into the crook of my elbow.

            “I’m sorry,” I apologized. “I’m an awful person to be around when I have nothing to do.”

            “Let’s go out.”

            “What?” I said, pulling myself away from the window so I could look at the boy who was dressed in a sweater and a pair of loose pants. “Zayn, it’s practically a blizzard out there.”

            “So what?” he replied. “Harry didn’t let us come out here just so we would stay in separate rooms tip toeing around each other, and speaking even less than we would have in London.”

            “I’ve been here the entire time doing nothing.” I pointed out. “I didn’t exactly lock myself away.”

            “Let’s just go,” Zayn insisted. He came a few steps closer and tried to bring me to my feet. “What harm would it cause?”

            “Hypothermia, for one,” I listed. “Pneumonia. The flu.”

            “Just risk it, then.” Zayn bit his lip for a moment before continuing. “We leave for London tomorrow, and then in a few days you’ll be home for two weeks. We won’t get to spend time like this together again for a while.”