Chapter Three

Near to You

03

-

Keep drinking coffee, stare me down across the table as I look outside. So many things I’d say, if only I were able.

King of Anything – Sarah Barielles

-

              My fingers clutched my unclad knees. Julia had been very explicit when she told me how I should dress. ‘None of those ratty, half-there jeans’ were here exact words, I believe. I wore a nice skirt and blouse; my coat hung over the back of the chair, and was still infinitely uncomfortable. I had been waiting for well over fifteen minutes now, and I was by no means impressed. If he wanted to meet me so badly, why was he late?

              I took in the room once again. This would have been an office like mine, had I gone into editing as I originally intended. It was what I was still going to school for. Posters of published novels were tacked in neat rows and there were shelves of books everywhere. Manuscript after manuscript overflowed on Jude’s desk and I wondered if the next big thing was amongst them.

              There was a picture of his family, of course, and they all appeared quite cheery. I hoped he was half as nice as he looked in the photo, and not the Nazi I had come to know him as through the editing process.

              “Sorry I’m late.”

              A man, shorter than me if that was even possible, shuffled into the room, his head ducked over a smartphone as he clicked away. He took a seat behind the large wooden desk and I waited patiently for him to address me. After a few minutes of no acknowledgement, I finally decided to speak up.

             “Um, excuse me?”

             “One minute.”

             I was taken aback by his rudeness and I couldn’t hold my frustration in any longer.

            “I will not wait another minute when I’ve already been waiting half an hour!”

             His fingers paused and he glanced up at me, unimpressed.

            “I’m talking to your agent, so I suggest you wait a moment.” His tone was icy. “Do not forget who you’re speaking to.”

             “How can I?” I muttered to myself softly enough so that he wouldn’t hear me. After a few more messages he finally placed his phone on a stack of papers.

             “Now,” He folded his arms in front of him. “What are we going to do with you?”

             “I was hoping that you were going to tell me that,” I replied sheepishly.

             “How old are you?”

             “Twenty.” He whistled. “Twenty-one next June.”

             “You’re a year ahead then, in University.”

              “Barely.”

              He uncapped a pen and pulled open a book before him. “Are you ready to go public?”

              “No,” I answered truthfully. “But I was under the impression I didn’t have a choice.”

              “Oh, you don’t,” He informed me. “I was just trying to see how willing you were going to be about all of this.”

              I bit my lip. “Do you have any idea about how we’re going to do this? Maybe a simple article would be fine. People would see it and—”