Chapter Nine

Near to You

09

-

Tell me your secrets, ask me your questions. Let’s go back to the start.

The Scientist – Coldplay

-

            I slammed my hand onto the top of the table.

            “You’re such a bigot!”

            Dixon floundered for a moment, and I felt as if I had won.

            “What?” I taunted. “Too big a word for you to handle?”

            “I’m just saying,” he finally sputtered. “You’ve over simplified everything. So, he cheats on her and what? She just forgives him like that?”

            “You wouldn’t understand!” I retorted. “You’re too in love with yourself to even think about putting another person before you—”

            “I think this is where we should end things today.” Jonathan chuckled as he rose from the desk where he normally perched himself during class. He was a very unconventional teacher, and often just lounged with his feet tucked underneath each other as he listened to us read and critique each other’s stories. “Very good work everyone. Dixon, Lewis, you were both as riveting as always.”

            I blushed slightly. I always had a tendency of getting ahead of myself in this class. I just felt so much more comfortable here with the other people I had come to know fairly well. Dixon, on the other hand, still managed to peeve me at least once during our two weekly meetings.

            “Lewis.”

            I paused in the doorway, glancing back at Jonathan who was shuffling through some papers. This was one of the first scholarly things I had ever seen him do.

            “Yes?”

            “Could I speak with you for a moment?”

            I glanced back as the final stragglers exited and then approached the professor warily. Was he going to chasten me because of my disorderly conduct in class? I would just have to switch seats with someone so Dixon wasn’t always so near to me. At least that way his smug face would not be a trigger that released the words from my mouth.

            “Is there something wrong?”

            “Oh,” he noticed that I was clutching my bag tightly and smiled. “Nothing that would get you into too much trouble.”

            My anxiety was assuaged by those words and I took a seat nearby. “Then what is it?”

            Finding what he was looking for, Jonathan pulled a book towards himself and held it up for me to see.

            “You recognize this, I assume?”

            He was holding a copy of Behind Closed Doors. I blanched.

            “Well, yes,” I admitted. “It’s a very popular book.”

            “That’s putting it mildly.” Jonathan snorted. “When you read your story today, I noticed certain similarities. The names, for one. Sasha and Sarah? At first I thought these were just coincidences, but then the scenario was also familiar. Have you been reading this lately? Is that maybe why you were so inspired?”