C H A P T E R F I V E

"We need to talk." My father said those exact words to me three days ago when he explained our overall predicament with Vincent Esposito. And I wasn't exactly in the mood to hear them again.

"I don't feel like talking." I say coldly. I try to walk past him, but he grabs my arm. I struggle against his tight grip, but he doesn't budge.

"Let me go." I give him my best glare, but he only narrows his eyes.

"Leah, I'm sorry, okay? Just come inside and let me explain." I looked at him, and I mean, really looked at him.

His clothes were wrinkled, he had more than a little stubble growing on his face, there were dark bags under his eyes, he looked bad. But then I looked in his eyes. I expected to see sadness, guilt. Anything that would be an indicator of him actually being sorry.

His eyes were blank, emotionless, cold. It's almost as if he isn't sorry for trying give me away.

I looked over at my mom, and saw the pleading look on her face. And despite being upset with both of them, I reluctantly allowed him to lead me back inside the house.

********

"Well?" I say. We all came back inside and have been sitting at the table in silence.

"Well what?"

"Aren't you gonna apologize? Or at least give me some explanation?" I ask, somewhat snotty. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but he said he wanted to talk, and I gave him a chance, so I hope he uses it wisely.

"Right, uh," He fumbles over his words as he tries to figure out what to say. I can't say I'm surprised, I knew he had no excuse for what he did, he just wants to make me look like the bad guy.

"I only said what I did because Vincent Esposito is very dangerous man. A man that I don't want to get mixed up with again-," He suddenly stops, as he processes what he just says.

"What do mean 'again'?" Have he and my dad had complications before? Is that part of the reason my dad is so intimidated by him?

"Never mind, I just want you to know that if we don't do what he says, we could all be put in jeopardy. I just feel like it would be best if we complied with his demands."

I just sit there, with my mouth hanging open and my eyes wide in shock. I look over to my mom, and watch as she deliberately avoids eye contact with me.

"So that's it? You're just gonna give me away?"

"Leah, it's not like that-," My mom tries to say, but I shoot her a glare and she stops.

"Go ahead. Call him. Let him have me. I don't care anymore." I turn my back on them and walk back upstairs, locking myself in my room. I just can't believe that my parents, would be so cruel, as to willingly give away their own daughter. And at first, my mom kicked out my dad for even suggesting it, and now she's completely fine with it? It just doesn't add up.

And soon, the constant questions raging through my mind lulls me into sleep.

**********

I wake up, and it's still dark. I check my phone and see that it just past three o'clock in the morning.

Ugh, I could barely sleep. My dreams were horrifying. I kept imagining the worst possible scenarios of finally coming face-to-face with Vincent. And to say that it didn't end well, was an understatement.

I decide to just get up, there's no use in trying to go back to sleep. I won't be able to. Instead, I walk downstairs towards the kitchen. On the way there, I pass my parents' room. I contemplate going in and trying to fix everything, but I realize that it's not worth it.