C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

"How could you!" I scream at my father. "How could you do this to your family? You tie me up, hit me, threaten me. And there's no telling what you're doing to mom!"

He immediately stands up from where he was sitting at the mention of my mother. His eyes immediately darken and his hands form fists at his sides.

"I would never hurt your mother."

"Then why are you hurting me?" His composure completely changed as I yelled at him. His eyes softened and his fists went lax, it's almost as if he felt bad.

"You don't understand!" He suddenly yelled and any hope I had for a peaceful explanation was thrown out the window.

"Then make me understand. Why are you doing this?" You could hear the desperation hanging on every word I said. I need him to make me understand. I need him to give me a reason. I need him to convince that he's not the cold hearted person I've come to know.

He sighed deeply and lowered his head. He ran his fingers through his already disheveled hair and sat down on a chair across from me.

"When you were born," He started "it was one of the happiest days of my life. I had always wanted a family; and I finally had gotten one. Now at the time, I was doing business with Vincent's father; which your mother really didn't approve of. She said it'd all come back to bite me one day; if only she knew how right she was."

He pauses as he takes a deep breath and runs his hands through his hair once again.

"Anyway, Mr. Esposito and I had made an agreement to have you and Vincent married when you turned eighteen. It seemed like a good idea at the time; our companies would merge and we'd be more powerful than ever. But when you were five, rumors started going around that I had been stealing shipments from Mr. Esposito, so naturally, he broke off the deal."

"Wait wait wait," I interrupted him. "so you were willing to just throw my whole life away for the sake of bettering your company?!" I scream at him. I was mad; absolutely fucking livid.

He was willing to give me up, just hand me over as soon as I turned eighteen. What if I wanted to further my education? What if I wanted an actual job? Would he have forced me into the marriage?

"Leah, you don't understand-"

"Oh no, I understand perfectly! You've never cared about mom and I; you only cared about your own selfish desires! You say you've always wanted a family, but I don't believe you. We're just useless baggage. You might as well just toss us to the curb." I was crying by the time I finished my rant, I just couldn't help myself. Everything is just getting to be too much, I had to let it out.

My dad stares at me in shock. I've never talked back to him like that. In fact, I've never talked back to anyone like that.

"You and your mother are not useless baggage. You are my family and I love-"

"Don't you dare say you love us! You lost that privilege when you handed me over."

He lowers his head in shame and sits back down, avoiding looking me in the eyes. I could tell he felt bad, you could see it in his eyes, but that still didn't change anything. He's a terrible person and no amount of grief will ever be able to change that.

"After Mr. Esposito broke off the arrangement," he started, "I was furious. At the time, I didn't think that he should've been allowed to do so. So one night, I went over to their house to talk to him; to try and persuade him to reconsider. But it quickly escalated into a fight. He was blaming me for his shipments going missing and he soon started to say things about you and your mother."

"What kind of things?"

"Awful things. And that's when I pulled out my gun and shot him. I just couldn't stand him talking about you two like that; it broke my heart." His voice was full of sorrow as he recited the story to me. Everything about him right now makes me want to forgive him, but I just can't.

"Do you regret it?" I ask,

"No. Not at all." I stare at him in shock.

"What? How can you not regret killing someone? So many bad things have come out of it. Don't you feel even the slightest bit of remorse?"

"He brought this upon himself, Leah. I did the right thing." His voice was dark and left no room for arguing. I chose not to respond out of fear of what would happen if I made him mad. But I still couldn't get his words out of my head.

How could he not feel any remorse? He killed a man, left a family without a father; without a husband. All because of some stupid deal they made?

"Why did you hand me over." I barely said it with any strength at all; I was hoping he wouldn't hear it. It was a question I was dying to get the answer to; but was afraid to hear.

Much to my dismay, he heard me. He immediately perked up, almost as if the question made him nervous.

"I, well, I-I was scared." Scared? Scared of what?

"What could you possibly be afraid of?"

He sighs and roughly runs his hands over his face.

"I was afraid of Vincent." I scrunch up my nose at the thought.

"Afraid of Vincent? Why?"

"Because after I killed his father he became ruthless. He wanted to get back at me and he wanted to do it through you. I tried to keep you away from him for as long as I could, but he started threatening the whole family, Leah. I really didn't have a choice."

So he was just trying to protect us.

I'm so confused. One minute he's being all cold and merciless and the next he's telling me that he loves me and was only trying to protect me. I really don't know what to be believe.

"Please forgive me, Leah. I know I've done wrong, but just give me a chance. I can do better; I promise. Please." At this point I could tell everything was taking a toll on him. The guilt was eating away at him. His eyes held sadness and his mouth was in a permanent scowl. I wanted so badly to forgive him; to believe that he truly is sorry, but I just can't.

"I'm sorry, but I just can't. Not now at least. You need to give me time." His eyes dull even more as my words hit him. He silently nods his head in affirmation and walks out of the warehouse, leaving me to myself.

It's for the best. I say to myself.

It's for the best.

******

Umm can we please acknowledge the fact that I actually updated ON TIME for once? Like, good for me.

And I honestly really enjoyed writing this chapter. It gave us a little insight to her dad's past and her and his relationship at the moment.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you next Friday....hopefully😉