Chapter 4: Old Debts

It didn't take long for Jhin to be placed in a small, surprisingly clean, cell. They gave him a bronzed color shirt and pants, that was too tight for his lean stature. The words 'Demacia' was faded on the front, making it look like a jumbled design. Once he was settled and told when his lunch would be coming, the guards left, leaving Quinn. She observed him through the peephole of the cell, just watching him thinking on his bed."Would you like something?" he said without looking at her. She jumped in surprised.

"Just making sure you weren't planning anything," she said, unsettled by his tone.

"Me?" he said jokingly, standing up. His eyes were fixed on the floor, staring at old claw marks on the cement."I would," he started, taking a step forward."Like to make a request." Her face stiffened, and through the small opening Jhin could hear Valor squawk.

"Like we're going to do anything for you," she said dismissively, turning around to leave.

"Oh, but you would." She stopped when she heard his words. He was right up by the peephole, his hot breath wavering on her neck."I could make you do anything I say. I could control you, manipulate you into whatever I want. It only takes four words."

"Unlikely," she snapped, twirling back to the peephole.

"Oh really?" he smiled slyly.

"Yes!" She was yelling now, her face red in frustration.

"Four words," he reminded her in a threatening voice.

"I'd like to see you try." She pressed her face up against the opening, siding with his.

"Maven of the Strings." He pronounced each word carefully, striking an imaginary dagger into Quinn's stomach. Maven of the Strings is the title of Sona Buvelle, a popular icon in Demacia. She was known for her unique instrument, and talent for playing it. Jhin seeing Quinn's horrified face made him smiled even more. He couldn't believe he hadn't remembered it before, which could have saved him a lot of time. Jhin and Sona had a complicated past together, both in games and personally. It's well known that Jhin has planned out the deaths of Vi, Sona, Garen, and Zed, although he hasn't chosen the right time to do it. He had almost killed Sona once, but had spared her life willingly. It's a rare occurrence for Jhin to spare his actors, let alone allow them to know he did it. Something about Sona always had him satisfied yet let him needing more. He still awaited her performance, no doubt about that, but he desired to learn more about her first. He knew the past, personality, and thoughts of the other three targets in his four act performance, but he didn't with Sona. Without a voice, she couldn't express her wants and desires as the others did, which slightly annoyed Jhin. So he spared her life, and let her knew he did, meaning she had a favor to repay to him.

"You are not allowed to see anyone," Quinn finally said, after a few minutes of shock.

"I am, by law, able to make one call to someone. I want to call Sona Buvelle," Jhin remarked.

"I said no!" She was back to her frustrated state. Valor starting squawk vigorously, flapping loudly around in panic.

"If you won't do it, I'll get some other guard in here, and give me my privileges!" They glared at one another, looking at each inch of each other's face.

"Fine," she spat, turning around for the last time."But this won't be your way out Jhin!"

Hours past, giving a lot of quiet time for Jhin to think, planning his negotiation to Sona when she arrived. He tried to straighten his hair, but he was still sticky and disgusting from everything that had happened to him. Finally, there was a knock on the his cell door. The slide to the peephole opened to reveal one of the guards that had escorted him hours ago.

"We're coming in." A few other guards walked into the room, guarding the door and surrounding Jhin. They handcuffed him again and led him out of the cell, down even more corridors in the capital. Finally they walked into a room, where Sona was sitting quietly in her blue dress. She looked up at Jhin as he entered, with a surprised look, as she saw his face for the first time. Jhin sat in a chair directly across from her, trying to fold him his arms in with the handcuffs. It bothered him that multiple citizens, and now Sona, have seen his face he so desperately wanted to cover.

"Hello...Sona," he said, staring creepily into her eyes. She let out a squeak, like a weak reply. Jhin smiled, wanting to make this a quick meeting."As you know I've been taken prisoner here in Demacia, for something I did not do." He tried to sound as convincing as he could, to Sona and the guards."And I believe you can help me, as you have a very strong influence in this pathetic city." She turned her nose to him as he said it."Alright, it's not pathetic, it just needs some work," he corrected himself, regaining Sona's interest. He looked at her awaiting an answer as she sat and pondered. Sona tilted her head just a bit, and stared up at the ceiling, deep in thought with herself.

Finally, she looked at him and shook her head no.

"I was afraid of that..." he muttered, loud enough for her to hear."May I bring up the Summer festival?" The thought of the night that Jhin almost killed her made her jump in her seat, her eyes growing wide as she remembered those moments. She sighed, then shut them, taking a deep breath. Then she looked at him again, a sad smile on her face."If I remember correctly, you have a debt to repay." He straightened his prisoner shirt as if it was a suit and tie, smirking to himself. Sona hummed, which sounded like an understanding of what he wanted her to do, although she didn't sound very happy about it. She sounded solemn, as if she had seen this coming, where she'd have to do a favor for the Golden Demon himself. He leaned in close to her across the table, but not in a threatening way."I do appreciate this," Jhin whispered in her ear, so that the other guards didn't hear him. He wanted it to sound like a thank you, but it came off slightly meticulous. She nodded, smiling weakly. Jhin stood from the table and turned to the guards, motioning to the door. They escorted him out the door, but right before he left the room, he winked right at her, making her jump again."Goodbye my butterfly," he thought to himself as he was pushed into his cell once again."Set me free."

Early afternoon blossomed into late afternoon, as once again Jhin was left to his thoughts. Usually when he thought he hummed multiple pieces of music, that ranged dramatically from different regions. It could be a jolly sea chanty from Bilgewater, or a soft ballad from Ionia, or even tales from Shurima. The guard that stood outside his door actually started tapping his finger on the door, keeping the rhythm with his humming. It amused Jhin to see someone as disciplined as a Demacian soldier letting himself get lost in the rhythm. He began to hum louder, standing up from his bed to mimic dance movements. The guard's tapping got louder, using his whole hand on the door. Now Jhin was full out singing, sounding like an opera performer on opening night. Jhin's own voice surprised himself as he realized it had been a while since he had sung out loud like that. He still kept in tune, although he was slightly rusty. He was singing a Demacian opera song, one very popular with the people. Jhin almost burst out laughing when he heard the guard singing along with him, just as loud, and just as magnificent. The two sang for barely a minute, as Jhin heard a violent smacking sound, and the guard suddenly stopping. He pressed his ear against the metal door, and heard the aggressive whispers that sounded like Quinn. The slot to the door suddenly opened, and the fierce, eagle-like eyes of Quinn glared into Jhin's. He smiled slyly, seeing the guard right behind her, holding his face, which was now flustered with embarrassment.

"You're not here to do a sing along with your prison guards," she snapped at him, glaring even harder.

"Just trying to...lighten the mood," he said, continuing to smile. He saw the guard look at Jhin, and he gave him a wink, making him quickly look at the ground. At the foot of the door was another slot, just like the one at eye level, and under it came a tray of food. It seemed like Quinn had kicked the tray through the slot. All the food came off the tray and piled on the floor, an assortment of food that surprisingly looked good to Jhin. Nothing like Ionian food, but it would do.

"If you keep that smug look I'll make sure to keep your dinner," Quinn snarled, her word threatening.

"Demacian brutality," Jhin joked, twiddling his fingers."I thought that was only in Piltover." She growled at him and slammed the slide shut, continuing to yell at the guard. Jhin cleaned up the food on the floor, trying to pick out the edible pieces. He took the tray to his bed, eating the morsel that was given to him."Quinn must be upset about Sona," he thought to himself, taking a bite out of a roll of bread."Eh, a little dry."