18

Welcome to society,

We hope you enjoy your stay. And please feel free to be yourself. As long as it's in the right way. Make sure you love your body, but not too much or we'll tear you down. We'll bully you for smiling and wonder why you're frowning. We'll tell you you're worthless, that you shouldn't make a sound. And then cry with all the others, as you're buried in the ground. You can fall in love with anyone, as long as its who we choose. And we'll let you have your opinions, but please shape them to our views.

Welcome to society, we promise we won't deceive and one more rule, while you're here you can't leave.

PETER~

Her hand gently squeezes mine, Charlie wiping a tear away from his face. I try my best to not cry, even if my eyes were spilling tears. Charlie hands me a box of tissues, taking a few for himself.

It's been a few hours, Pippa and Emily had showed up 20 mins ago. I sit in the cafeteria, buying myself a Redbull for a refill in my energy. Charlie coughs, eating his bowl of prepackaged salad slower. I sit beside him, slowly sipping my redbull. I slowly process what happened today, everything turning into a reality.

"She'll wake up. Blair has always been a fighter." Charlie cuts the silence. I sigh, not responding too busy with my own thoughts. Charlie pats my back, "Dude. She quit her job."

I immediately look over at Charlie, full of shock. Blair has worked so hard for her career, why would she want to destroy it now? "Why?" I ask him. Charlie simply shrugs, "She called me and Emily. Apparently she wants to create her own company. Ya' know? Be her own person instead of working for some needy person like Helen."

I chug down my redbull, tossing its can into the recycling bin. "Why didn't she call me?"

Again, Charlie shrugs. "You've got to ask her for that one. Even I don't know that."

---

I don't know what's worse. Knowing your girlfriend might never wake up, or knowing her dreams could die.

It's been 2 weeks already, I worked around the clock. My manager told me to take some time off and I did. Well at least I took time off of my work. Now, I'm helping Blair out on something she would be so proud of me if she wakes up.

Emily and Charlie gladly threw on their gloves and hard hats on for a renovation of this old building we found. In 2 weeks time, we painted the interior and exterior, fixed some stairs and doors. I always knew Blair loves anything pastel. So naturally, the whole place is bright. Nothing dull, unfortunately.

"You know, I would help but I love these heels too much. So instead, I bought lemonade!" Pippa walks in, her heels clinking along the hard wood floor. She smiles brightly, looking around the room.

"Thanks babe." Charlie kisses her cheek, taking a cup of lemonade. I chuckle, "What a flirt." I take a cup as well, sipping it. The sour yet, perfectly balanced lemon and sugar tingle my throat. Emily sighs, throwing down her hard hat on the floor.

"It wouldn't hurt for you to lift some wood you know?" Emily says, walking over for lemonade. Pippa giggles, shaking her head. "No thanks. If you google chicken arms, my arms will come up."

We all sit outside on the concrete sidewalk, watching the cars pass by. As the weeks had gone by, me and the group have gotten closer. We've been there for each other, spending a lot of sleep overs at Charlie's place. Although strangely, Pippa and Charlie never sleep without each other. I have heard Charlie talking about engagement and a life after that, but he quickly shook it off.

"Guys, you do know that the ball is tonight right?" Pippa asks, looking at us up and down. I laugh, gently placing my hand on her shoulder. "I'm not going without Blair. But you guys go right ahead."

The ball is an annual thing, every star/singer is invited. It's a formal event, something I'm not comfortable with. Of course, Charlie and Emily had been many times before, the ball a big thing in the press.

Pippa shakes my hand off her shoulder, "Come on! If you're not coming, we're not going." She crosses her arms.

Emily and Charlie both look at each other, "Pippa. I'm not sure-," Emily starts but Pippa shushes her. "So what is it? You coming? Or you flaking out?"

"You look horrible." Charlie laughs, gently shoving my shoulder. I laugh back, looking at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a grey tuxedo, a black tie, my hair messy since I don't have any idea on how to style it. Charlie looks more put together, the penguin look working out for him. His hair gelled back, with his expensive silver watch.

"I think he looks cute." Pippa pecks Charlie on the lips. Charlie immediately smiles, "You think a cow looks cute."

Emily walks down the stairs, holding her heels in one hand. "They're serving cupcakes!" She announces. This year, for some reason, Emily is hosting the ball. She couldn't even walk dogs let alone a ball.

We all walk back upstairs from the dressing rooms, to the party. The DJ is playing "Selena Gomez Bad Liar." Many of the people here I barely recognize, only in magazines or commercials. Funny how years ago I would've died for a record label and now, I'm in a room with some of the most talented people in the Hollywood industry.

"This is pretty cool. Last year, Daryl invited some old guys to play the violins for the whole night." Charlie chuckles, locking his hand in with Pippa's. I laugh, walking down the stairs. They follow me a bit after, I head straight to the buffet table.

"We have some very expensive wine imported here from Italy," The server talks while I just grab a beer. I smile, cracking the bottle open.

Emily walks over to me, a small drink in her hand as well. "I know Blair isn't here, but try to have some fun. You look like a killjoy." She chuckles, leaning against the railing as I am. I take my eyes off the entrance stairs as if Blair is gonna be walking down them. "Yeah, but I usually have Blair with me. It feels empty without her."

Emily nods, "I knew you were gonna say that. Which is why.." she pauses.

Holy shit.