Forgive or forget

"Anna!" Daniel shouted as he ran out from the airport terminal and into his girlfriend's arms. His girlfriend welcomed him with a tight warm hug that he missed so much.

"Welcome home, Dan," she said.

It was a three and a half hours trip home and with an endless conversation.

"Oh god, it's still the same as 2 years ago," he smiled as he glimpsed through the house that he built three years ago for his girlfriend.

"I've taken good care of it, don't I?" Anna held his arms and asked him.

"Of course you did. Thank you so much, Anna," said Dan as he kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry too," he whispered. Anna just gave him a smile and didn't ask much about the sudden apologise.

They had been together for almost ten years, ever since high school. Everybody in school was betting on their relationship but they didn't seem to care. In fact, it seemed to disappoint the bettors, they graduated together and went into the same university as a pair. Although, they took the different major but they still graduated together with flying colors. Anna was a psychologist and Daniel was an architect. Two years ago, Daniel's ex-company was announced bankruptcy. Daniel literally became an unemployed over a night. But that did not affect him much since he was an artist too. Without his architect job, he had more time and could focus on his next work of art. He decided to travel around places to seek for inspiration. However, Daniel did persuade Anna several times to come along but she refused because of her work. She just couldn't leave her patient. But she still showed support to his decision and stayed loyal, waited for him for whole 2 years. Her loyalty moved her man and he came back to her, at least that was what Anna thought.

As time passed, Anna noticed her boyfriend was acting really strange. He received calls during midnight frequently. He wouldn't answer the calls in front of her. Worst, he always looked troubled and in depression after call. He would avoid questions regarding his struggles. Lately, he lost his temper very easily. He didn't seem to enjoy his own art like he used to. The strangest was he apologized to Anna every now and then even if it wasn't necessary. Anna was really worried but she couldn't do anything at all. She felt useless and often cried every night to bed quietly. Yet, she still forced a smile every morning, hoping that he would felt at least a little at ease.

Two years, it may be long yet, short. Within this period of time, how long can a man stay loyal when they get exposed to all sort of new adventures and excitements? How long can they withstand the lure that exists in the world? Something might have happened to him and that's why he returned to his long-term girlfriend who had been waiting for him.

Two months later, the preparation for his art exhibition had set which was on the week after the completion. His work of art had attracted several industries' collaboration and some higher rank society. Anna didn't make it on time to Daniel's personal speech but she made it to the applause he received. Daniel was surrounded by reporters that Anna couldn't even see him so she decided to walk around. The exhibition title was 'NEW'. New places he went, new experience he gained were all drawn and kept in this exhibition. She felt guilty for not being able to accompany him through his journey as she noticed all the arts were a little lonely. But there was something different, a paint of a woman sitting at the bench smiling, caught her attention. That paint looked different from the others. It felt like it doesn't belong to this new project theme. It was during sunset at the beach and the girl was beautiful.

"It's stunning, isn't it?" said a woman with a long red dress and a sun glasses. Her long dark brown wavy hair fell over her shoulder making her look seductive. She took off her sunglasses and looked into Anna's bright light blue eyes. Anna's heart shrieked as the woman smiled. The smile, similar to the paint on the wall.