I found the lost

During one of the coldest winter in my hometown, I've come back for a long holiday and away from my work. I finally reach the same old airport after an hour on flight. I walk out of the terminal and expecting for some warm welcome but, there are only few ground staffs who instantly inform me to catch the last train to my village. I race to the station and yes, I made it in time. The train isn't as empty as I thought, there are still some passengers that had their flight delay til midnight.

Looking out of the window, the scene where the lights of the buildings are reflected on the clear lake. It is just so nostalgic. I remember when I was young, I was looking at the lights and wondering why were there lights on the lake. I was asking so many questions even when I knew that the two passengers sitting beside me were trying to sleep. I was even smiling at the window. I guess I was just too young to be normal. After an hour, the train brakes at its final stop and the announcement wakes everyone up. I can tell everyone in the train is exhausted as they leave the train. Well, it is 2 AM in the morning anyway.

The weather is much colder compared to the place I work at. I cover up my face and head, leaving only my two dark brown eyes visible. My house is only few minutes' walk from the station though it is located on the highest part of the village. Even though it is 2 in the morning, I still can make it to the top. Climbing the stairs isn't as easy as before. When I was young, I ran like a crazy brat to the top. '5 steps per second'. I looked back every few steps I took but I had no idea what was I looking at because I don't remember seeing anything down the stairs. I even shouted, 'Come on'. Guess I was really too young to be normal. My mum told me I was a crazy, reckless girl when I was a kid.

Finally, I reach the temple. The temple was built by my great grandpa for the esteem of our ancestors that had never leave this land even after they died. I totally am the first one who disrupted the legacy. I always pray for forgiveness from my ancestors every night before bed but I guess I can sleep well now that I am home.

Walking around the temple, I always feel calm and peace. Behind it, there is house. Over a few meters bridge, there is a traditional double-storey house which is almost 100 years old. It is mainly made from wood, paper, rice straw and clay.

I am walking along the bridge that crossed the shallow stream, remembering so much memory that I used to play alone because I am the only child in my family and the youngest child among my relatives. I just couldn't blend in with them.

"Shiori?" that familiar voice, my mum is calling. I look up and she is standing on the other end of the bridge with a long scarf waiting for my arrival. I run into her warm embrace and apologise.

"Sorry, mum. For keeping you waiting."

We had a short conversation before I fell asleep and I had no idea when I fell asleep. But I wake up feeling energetic, it has been a while since I had such good sleep. When I look around my room, everything doesn't seem to change at all. Everything still stays as it is.

The first person I see as I slide open my door is my father. He is reading his newspaper on the same old wooden chair my grandpa adores. I lower my head and walk towards him.

"Father," I instantly call for him as my eyes set on him. It has been more than 15 years that I left this house.

"Oh dear Shiori, welcome home," I run to him and give him a hug. "Sorry for not picking you up at the airport. It was late and Shen had gone to bed," he says as our eyes meet.

"It's okay. I wasn't the last one anyway," I smile as I told him.

"I'm glad you're home, really," he pats my head like he always used to do it every time as I laid against his chest.