Same Damn Hunger

Sang

When I woke up, I couldn't remember where I was. For one horrifying second, I thought I was still in my mother's, step-mother's, house, and I panicked. But as soon as I ran my hands over the smooth comforter instead of my old, ratty blanket, my heart rate slowed down. I am safe, I am free, and most importantly, I am away from her, I told myself, repeating the mantra I had made up to calm me after panic attacks.

Someone pounded on the door, and I jumped, my hand going to my heart. "Who is it?" I called weakly, getting out of bed with shaky legs.

"It's Gabriel," the person called back, and I let out a sigh of relief.

I cracked the door open to see Gabriel smiling at me brightly. He was wearing a bright orange tank top and a pair of baggy shorts, and held a bag in his hands. "Hello," I said, my voice a little crackly. "What's up?"

He frowned, narrowing his eyes. "Did Kota not tell you?" I shook my head, and he cursed. "You're going to be training with us today, Trouble. The Pushers wanna see what kind of shit you got."

I blinked up at him, a little confused. "What do you mean?" I asked, worrying my lip with my finger.

Gabriel laughed, leaning against the door frame. "You're lucky you're so damn cute, Trouble," I blushed, and he laughed again. "What I mean is we want to see what kind of powers you got, outside of the ones you'll get from the witchy bitch inside of your head," he replied, tapping my forehead gently.

Persephone awoke with a vengeance, growling inside of my head. Tell that scion, she hissed. To not disrespect me again- unless he wants to face the consequences. I winced at her harsh tone, and smiled at him weakly. "Um, she didn't like that, and wanted me to warn you to not disrespect her again."

He blinked. "So," he said slyly. "She really is a queen bitch, then?" Despite the growling in my head, I laughed. Gabriel's crystal blue eyes lit up, and he grinned at me. "Here," he said, handing me the bag. "These are some workout clothes for you. I figured the only clothes the witches would have given you were dresses. Can I come in?"

Gabriel said all of that so quickly, that it took me a second to comprehend it. "Uh, sure. And thanks, Gabriel. I appreciate it," I added, giving him a small smile, letting him in.

"Well, get used to it, sweetheart. With me around, you'll never have to worry about clothes again. Now, go change!"

Heading his command, I marched on over to the bathroom, while Gabriel sat on the bed. When I looked in the mirror, I winced. My blonde hair was basically a rats nest, my face greasy and dirty... And worst of all, I was still in my two-day old clothes. I took a sniff of my clothes, and nearly gagged. The scent of fried food, sweat, and vomit all combined together, and the smell was nearly palpable. How could anyone stand to be around me? I wondered, shucking off my clothes, and throwing them in a trash can.

I splashed my face with water, and tried to the do the same to my arm pits (but to no avail). I quickly pulled on the clothes Gabriel had given me, and I wrinkled nose. I didn't usually wear tight clothes like the ones he had given me. The pants clung to my legs, putting my but on display, and the shirt did the same for the little décolletage I had. I stepped out of the bathroom reluctantly, looking down at my feet. "Gabriel, do the clothes really have to-" I started to complain, but as soon as I looked up, I stopped talking.

Gabriel's crystal eyes shone bright as he looked me up and down, a smile growing on his face. "You look great, Trouble," he murmured, and I blushed pink. "Now, let's go!" he said abruptly, pulling out of my room and into the great unknown.